1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop that was finished last year, yet not seen on this forum before.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gsim, Dec 18, 2010.

1. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    When I built my coop in 2009, I did not have a digital camera, so I could not post/share with anyone. That has changed, and I finally figured out how to post it both here and on My Page

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That 'V'-shaped thing is part of a temporary fence that I had in the run last winter in order to try to grow grass in there. Was hoping to have greens and bugs for the chooks, but it failed. Only thing growing inside of my run are three trees.

Gerry

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  2. Danny39

Danny39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Ohio
    Great Job! Any pics of the inside?

3. Weewanona

Weewanona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Wilburton, OK
    Really like the look of this coop. Great job on it. [​IMG]

I see 2 pop holes. Is the coop divided inside? [​IMG]

4. Danny39

Danny39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Ohio
    Never mind, I just looked at your BYC page. Very nice indeed. You know that "workshop" would make an awesome chicken coop! lol I'm just sayin!

5. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Wow, I want to live in that!
    Nice job. Lucky birds!

6. GAGE

GAGE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    GA
    Great job, thanks for posting!

7. gsim

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Did you check out "My BYC Page" ?

gerry

8. Danny560

Danny560 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2010
    North Carolina Mountains
    Now that is one elegant coop ! I'm afraid if I went to all that work and wonderful finish job it have to be a mancave instead ! Great job !

I'm sorry for your loss to the hawk, they can be tough on birds in an open run. I've used monofilament strung across the top with some good success, ( and it's almost invisable.)
    Now, not to be an alarmest, but my only real predator concern with your set up would be WEASELS ! I'm certain your windows with chicken wire w/ the welded wire fencing behind it will stop a coon, ( even if it makes it past the electric ), but a weasel will slip right through without the least struggle. Please save yourself the heartache / $$$ loss, and replace it with 1/2 " hardware cloth. I know you have prolly considered weasels and may have even been told there aren't any in your area, but trust me they are there and they will find an operation this size sooner or later. An adult male in a blood lust will kill half your flock in one night [​IMG]

9. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Gorgeous!! I have coop envy.... [​IMG]

10. gsim

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Have concern about weasels. May yet add hardware cloth over the top of everything else. Not sure how they would climb up there what with the slick vinyl siding and all. Anyone know how high they can jump? Am sure they can get into the run with not much trouble. Hear they can wriggle thru chicken wire, if not bite through it.

Gerry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by