Coop too dark?

kmhundley

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2018
Ok - we had a shed in place that was converted to a coop. However, the enclosed run was built first and our chickens (12) all born early March were provided only the run area for about 2 months while coop was being built. I placed a roost in the run and their food as well.

Now that the coop area has been done - they continue to roost in the run. My question is - is the coop too dark? There are no windows in the coop - there is one wall that has a 2 foot high screened area that lets in some light but the coop is still relatively dark inside. Is it too dark for them to find the roost and nesting boxes? Should I remove the roost in the run? I am afraid that they will not utilize the nesting boxes or roosts

A lot of pre-fab coops are dark, so I doubt that's your issue. Chickens are creatures of habit...if they have been roosting in the run, they will continue to do so. I would move them into the coop at night after they have already settled down (straight from one roost to another) and lock them in the coop. If you do this for a few nights, they will naturally start staying in the coop.

It's possible the coop is too dark for them. If feasible add windows, not just for light but also ventilation. A dark, poorly ventilated coop isn't attractive to chickens.

Since they've been used to sleeping in the run, that's home to them, so you'll have to put them in the coop nightly until they get the hang of it, or try locking them in the coop for a few days to see if that helps them identify it as their home base.

It's possible the coop is too dark for them. If feasible add windows, not just for light but also ventilation. A dark, poorly ventilated coop isn't attractive to chickens.

Since they've been used to sleeping in the run, that's home to them, so you'll have to put them in the coop nightly until they get the hang of it, or try locking them in the coop for a few days to see if that helps them identify it as their home base.
I would have to say, the ventilation is very important. I learned about the respiratory tract sensitivity they have, so it's very important for airflow. Above them. I have seen some sheds converted, and just like we cut a space for an a/c unit (not for chickens), you can do so and then nail in wood trim and then wire for the window.

Back
Top Bottom