Coop-top Garden? Pallet Garden?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PirateGirl, Apr 15, 2018.

1. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I have been toying with the idea of making a coop-top garden. Has anyone done this? Pros? Cons? Successes? Failures? Advice?

Also toying with the idea of a pallet garden or using a pallet I have to make a coop-top/run-top garden. This would also shelter the chickens from the elements, create shade, catch the rain and keep it out of the run.

Any photos, tips, knowledge based on experience would be great. Here are a few random internet pics to illustrate what I'm talking about.

For me, part of the appeal is the height because there are so many critters I struggle to keep out of my garden, this might help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or using a vertical pallet as a wall/wind break on the run...

[​IMG]

lifetimechicklover and Freisian like this.
  2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Did you candle today?

Cute idea....are you going to be able to keep the birds out of it?

I really like the vertical gardens but I haven't tried them yet.

3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I want to put the pallets on top of the run, kind of like the first picture; I think it will add shade for the chickens and protect the plants from the rabbits and prairie dogs. I was contemplating a few vertical gardens on the sunny side of my house too, but I wasn't sure if the prairie dogs would just climb up and eat them! It's all still in the planning phase because it's too cold to plant anything :(

KikisGirls likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: