Coop toy for your chickens!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mstricer, Dec 14, 2009.

1. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    For weeks now I've been looking for one of those ball things to hang in my coop. Well this morning I found them Meyers Hatchery has them as a new item and for only $4.99. Merry Christmas to my chickens. I will be going over there today, to get a couple of them. Just thought I would share with everyone.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Cool...think I'll go take a look. I always get my dogs a new toy each at Christmas, so my girls deserve something too.

3. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    You can put a head of cabage in it. It will be fun for them on days its to cold to go out.

4. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    I'm all about making things instead of buying. If I can make it out of something that I already own. I've made two suit baskets and making one to hold a head of cabbage is on my list. Just a thought to save you some mony.

5. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:What did you make them out of? I would be interested in that if I could.

6. dacdeihl

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    Quote:What did you make them out of? I would be interested in that if I could.

I used left over welded wire fence. The spacing is about 2"x3" and gives them plenty of room for pecking. I'll take some pictures and post them for you if you want. I then cut out an area of fence and bending them to the shape I wanted. Then use zip ties (cable ties) for holding the sides together. Cut the excess off. Tie up in coop with twine. I bake my own seut blocks to old a 8x8 block. Works great.
    Chicken wire fence might also work and it's cheaper. I use leftover parts. I've make four of these and that last one is much better than the first. Practive makes better I guess.

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Love the idea of making something when you can. Save all that $$$ for feed! [​IMG]

8. dacdeihl

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    Quote:you not kidding! My girls are going through a tone right now. I miss having a garden.

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I may give making my own a try (have lots of left over fencing material)... The toys are very reasonable, but the shipping costs kill you!

10. dacdeihl

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    I post some pics tomorrow... maybe that will give an idea of what I did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by