Coop Transition.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by riverpilot69, Jan 23, 2012.

1. riverpilot69

riverpilot69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I am almost finished with the new coop. I was wondering what is the best way to transition the girls to their new home? Do I put them in there for a few days and let them get used to the new place before letting them out to free range? I know I will have to remove the old coop or they will go back to it out of habit. I was just wondering what the best way to do this would be. This is the first time that I have tried this and wonder what eveyone else would do. I hope this is the right place to post this, as I think it is a behavioral issue.
    Thanks.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It can sometimes take a week or longer for the birds to call it "home". If by free range you mean REAL free range, not just pecking around a fenced back yard, yes. Then some extended, quality time adopting their new abode is in order.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  3. riverpilot69

Mar 22, 2011
    SE Missouri

They are REAL free range. My chain link fence doesn't stop them. They seem to think that stuff in the front yard tastes better than the stuff in the back. I was just wondering about the amount of time to keep them cooped up. Thanks.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Eventually, a free ranging flock will wander as far as 1/4 mile from home. Ours do. It is important to firmly establish home, nests and all that. Some folks even suggest two weeks.

5. riverpilot69

Mar 22, 2011
    SE Missouri
    O.K. I appreciate the info. I am going to do some more research on the matter. Even though my hens wander, they do not get far from the house. I may keep them cooped for a week and see if they will find their way back to the new coop. If I have to round a couple of them up, I will coop them for a bit longer. I am sure they will take to the new coop. It is far better, and roomier than the old one. Much warmer also. I will probably play it by ear and see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by