Coop up off the ground?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dawnh31, Sep 21, 2010.

1. dawnh31

dawnh31 New Egg

Sep 21, 2010
    Hi everyone, I'm new here. My chickens (2 of them) are living in a dog crate right now and I need to build them a coop. Thanks to an unfortunate event that caused us to cancel our Walt Disney World trip this year, we have some extra money and time to do it. I've been reading and looking at the coop designs and it seems most of them are about 2 feet off the ground. Is there a reason for this? If they were all that way, I'd be sure there was some reason and I'd just do it, but it seems many of them are ground level. Can someone tell me why a good portion of them are built that way? Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I've tried to find a reference to it and haven't seen one yet.

Thanks,

Dawn

2. kmwright

kmwright Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    I'm not sure if there is a reason, but I did it because 1.) It's more predator-proof and 2.) my chickens (all chickens, that is) like to be up as high as possible so being up off the ground is good for them.

My friend/neighbor has his on the ground, and the chickens are constantly trying to get out and perch on top.

3. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    I put mine off the ground because space was limited and it was a way to double up on usable space. Also a big plus is that they have a guaranteed shady spot in the summer. Also no rats/mice can hide underneath.

4. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    Mine is 2 feet up because the extra space under there is part of their run, without making the completed footprint that much larger. It is also that tall because if I need to, I can use a rake to 'fluff up' the sand. Rodents and other critters like dark hidey-spots and I didn't want to provide one for them.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I have a coop that is up off the ground and one that is on the ground with a mesh floor. I prefer the one on the ground because it's cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. I'm also able to do the "deep composting method," which I'm unable to do with the other coop because it would rot the wooden floor.

Just my two cents worth. [​IMG]

6. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Mine is 3 feet off the ground. I use the area underneath for storage for feed, bedding, etc.

7. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    Mine is also 3ft up- w/ storage space underneath. The eggs are easy to reach, and clean up is a breeze. The storage area holds my feed, xtra feeders and pine shavings. I think they are warmer in the winter up off the floor.

8. AtholCoop

AtholCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    North Idaho
    Mine are all elevated for two reasons. The first being that it's much easier for me to clean if the muck cart fits just under the coop, the second is snow. Having the coop 3' or so off the ground just means one less thing I have to shovel out every time it snows.

9. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    We put ours off the ground to make more room for run space underneath, and I think they like going "up to roost."
    [​IMG]

10. AnnainMD

AnnainMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    1. Easier to clean (sweep shavings into waiting wheelbarrow).
    2. Prevents rodents by eliminating hiding areas.
    3. Provides a guaranteed shady spot when it's hot/sunny (chickens have poor heat tolerance).
    4. Provides a guaranteed dry area in the run for dust bathing and general chicken activity when it's raining.
    5. Floor stays nice and dry when it's raining.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by