Coop Updates for Biosecurity -HPAI

Acre4Me

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) has begun to show up in commercial and backyard flocks this year. There have been confirmed cases in many states, mostly in the eastern half of the US, but also UK has been dealing with this for awhile too. Since a flock can be infected from wild birds, there are biosecurity measures that are recommended to take to keep you flock safe.

** A safe and enclosed covered run is recommended to keep your backyard flock from coming into contact with wild birds. **

I’m located in Ohio, and it has not yet been detected here…but it has been detected in all/nearly all states that border Ohio. Personally, we have a couple chickens that we particularly like, and would rather them not get sick. But, from a practical standpoint, what a pain in the rear to have to restart a flock, which I would rather not have to do.

>> What are you doing to keep your birds safe? Do you have questions as to how to keep your birds safe?

Please post your solutions here, or your questions as to how to address your particular situation.

We turned an old dog run behind the barn into a chicken run, with coop as an integrated part. This area is 10’ x 50’. It is chain link fencing, but part is 6’ tall, the other part is 4’ tall. No roof at first.

A couple years ago, the chickens figured out how to hop the fence-not too difficult on the short side. Not wanting to irritate the neighbors, we looked for a quick way to keep them in. We had some thin/fine deer netting that we put up. But it’s so fine, that over time the wind has ripped it up. But it lasted fairly well considering it’s thinness.

Due to the presence of HPAI, we need to enclose the run better, so I bought heavy duty deer fencing at Menards.

41F78DFE-B3CB-4B53-9032-805B4B6AF291.jpeg

It is 7’ tall, so That is helpful.

Over the past two years, we’ve worked on roofing our run. Since the coop is integrated, there is a shingle roof over the coop. To the south and East there is metal roofing over the entire run. The roof is a single slant roof.

However, one big biosecurity issue is the rain run off. It will run off and into the ground, splashing into the run during heavy rain. So, I’ll likely have to install something to address the rain issue.

I've had HPAI show up in 2 surrounding counties in ducks, the DEEP just posted about it. They have not yet implemented lock down, but I've been thinking about how I would do it.

Right now I have 2 coops with small, covered runs attached to each - all in a large (1200sf) run covered in bird netting. I figure if it comes to it I can keep everyone locked in the small covered runs. They won't be happy, but it is what it is & I'm happy to have an easy (enough) solution.

So when migration is complete - does it really mean anything? Or does it just mean that now the infected ducks have moved here permanently? When is it not a worry anymore?

I've had HPAI show up in 2 surrounding counties in ducks, the DEEP just posted about it. They have not yet implemented lock down, but I've been thinking about how I would do it.

Right now I have 2 coops with small, covered runs attached to each - all in a large (1200sf) run covered in bird netting. I figure if it comes to it I can keep everyone locked in the small covered runs. They won't be happy, but it is what it is & I'm happy to have an easy (enough) solution.

So when migration is complete - does it really mean anything? Or does it just mean that now the infected ducks have moved here permanently? When is it not a worry anymore?

I’ve seen the info that it can remain in soil for 90+ days. Also, a chicken can remain infectious even if it survived the HPAI. This is why entire flocks are euthanized bc survivors can perpetuate the cycle. Not sure about ducks, etc.

I’m glad you have a way to contain them/keep them separate if needed!

I've been wanting to add an auxiliary run for a year now. This may be the time to do it, and just combine them for the time being (that is, let the flock have the run of both) just for everyone's sanity. The chicken area of the coop is 8x10 or x11, and the run is 8x25, IIRC, with some vertical hangout spaces, too.

@Acre4Me, are you letting your birds free range or have you locked them down? I hate to do it...but I'd hate to lose them more. It might be better stewardship to keep everybody in for a bit. :/

(But then, as @Sueby notes...for how long?)

When the sun is getting stronger in spring Avian Influenza disappears. Don’t bother too much if its not in you’re area right know.

The major problem is that it keeps coming back. In Europe we have Avian Influenza every year now. Especially in the Netherlands delta) it’s a problem with all the rivers and lakes the wild ducks, geese and such are a huge problem.

But there is good news too. They expect that all BYChickens can get a vaccin soon.

Becauss it sucks to keep chickens locked up from oktober till april.

are you letting your birds free range or have you locked them down? I hate to do it...but I'd hate to lose them more. It might be better stewardship to keep everybody in for a bit. :/
Usually, I would let them out to meader the garden winter/early spring, when the garden is not producing. But, I have not done so this year in part bc of the HPAI. But, that is also because I spread some various amendments on my garden beds and don't want the chickens to try to peck/eat those as I haven't mixed in those amendments yet.

But there is good news too. They expect that all BYChickens can get a vaccin soon.

I haven't heard this! Where have you seen this info? I wonder how it works, if the chickens would need any further boosters, or yearly shots (like human flu vaccine).

When the sun is getting stronger in spring Avian Influenza disappears. Don’t bother too much if its not in you’re area right know.
Thats good to know! I really hope this does disappear soon!

There are 2 types of AI: a low pathogenic one, and a High Pathogeneic one. HPAI (highly pathogenic Avian Influenza) is the one they are concerned about. Once it appears, most chickens die, but the ones that survive are carriers and shed the virus. Thats why they depopulate entire flocks.

So @Acre4Me has heard me say this already today, but I thought I'd put it here too. I got a call from the Dept of Ag today, they said it has been found in a flock near me - they didn't say a flock of what but said it wasn't a backyard flock - she said they consider them 20 birds or so & this was more. But she said it was not migrating birds either. So I get the impression it was a local turkey or small chicken farm nearby. She said it wasn't mandatory yet, but they highly suggested lockdown. So that's what I did. The girls are locked up now & surprisingly ok with it but I think that's just the flock block I put out talking. :gig

I covered my chickens' run last summer. Part with polycarbonate panels, and part with a tarp. I plan to replace the tarp with something more substantial this summer. They do not free range; never have, probably never will. They don't know what they're missing, and don't need to learn.

HPAI was found in a backyard flock about 100 miles south of me.

I covered my chickens' run last summer. Part with polycarbonate panels, and part with a tarp. I plan to replace the tarp with something more substantial this summer. They do not free range; never have, probably never will. They don't know what they're missing, and don't need to learn.

HPAI was found in a backyard flock about 100 miles south of me.
We may be using some of those poly panels in the winter to keep snow out of the run, but spouse not convinced. We do need to add gutters bc the rain can blow quite a bit into the run off of the metal roof. There are gutters on the barn, so the rain water is only from the run roof.

Free- ranging. Technically, mine and yours are free range as they have the ability to go out doors and scratch on natural substrate and act like normal chickens. However, its behind a protective fence. But, no, I dont want to truly free-range bc my neighbors would tire of chickens in their yard. And I would tire of them eating my garden.

I hope that HPAI stays away from you!

Back
Top Bottom