Coop Updates

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by roseyred, Jan 20, 2015.

1. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    I started raising chicken in the beginning of 2014. I built a small thing that i wouldn’t even call a coop! it had an open part up off the ground that had a thick wire floor and 4 next boxes. I decided very quickly that it needed a roof...duh. well i wanted the roof to be removable but not a pain to remove so i kinda rigged up this accordion top. i remember the losers at home depot looking at me like i had 3 heads when i tried to explain what i was going to do. well IT WORKED thank you very much home depot know it alls. so all summer i had the perfect coop. it was open with it was nice out and i could cover it all up for them when it rained! they also all fit so well in it as they were pullets. They loved the accordion when it was folded and decided it was there roost witch....well there was lots of poop. This winter i had planned to put them in the horse stall and did very easily. there set up was wonderful in there because the floor was all horse poopy and full of bugs, it had ventilation but was very warm and it has electricity for the water heater. So why did i decided i had to do this today? cause im chicken crazy......
    there so big now that i had to give them a little remodeling and add an addition to there former coop.

They were so small this coop was absolutly perfect for them at the time
    [​IMG]

Heres what i started out with
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Additions, like the ramp and the side walls witch could be put up and down
    and the accordian roof were added
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rest for the accordian roof

[​IMG]
    Accordian roof
    [​IMG]
    IN ACTION! again suck it home depot
    [​IMG]
    The little things pleased with there home
    [​IMG]

So today i woke up and decided to construct there additon or upstairs. I started by taking apart my EPIC accordian roof. there too tall to be under that now. as you can see i had already taken the door off. There are is 3 dog kennels snaked together. its pretty cool because if i need to isolate one i can easily or if i need to catch one for something i can block them off. You can also kinda see the larger ramp they used as they got bigger in the summer to get ontop of the coop. These two ladies are Rosey and Salt or Pepper....you can never be sure which one is which.

[​IMG]
    I took the two panels i removed from the accordian top and used them as side walls. had to cut them down to size. i used 2 thin pieces of wood stacked on both sides of the front wall to hold it up then used 2x4s to make the frame on the two small ends. I used a taller piece of 2x4 on the back verticle frame so it would make a slanted roof. I wanted it to be easy to get in there and replace the hay or bedding i put down once i get a floor in there so i left one of the accordian panels connected and it serves as a poop door.
    [​IMG]
    poop door opne
    [​IMG]
    poop door shut
    [​IMG]
    im gonna put in a floor and roof next. It has lots of ventalation which was unplanned for but since i cant measure there will be a few spaces. im not worried about predators as there pen is secure. im so excited to get the floor and roost in there!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

will keep posting update pics

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    [​IMG]

3. roseyred

Jun 5, 2014
    [​IMG]

4. roseyred

Jun 5, 2014
    [​IMG]
    See the clear floor!!!??? The roof is gonna be clear too like a chicken green house. This is bullet proof plexi glass I got for free from my work. They were gettig the doors replaced and had a lot of extra and I asked and received! I'll have wood side walls and a plexi floor and plexi roof. The roof is facing away from where the sun rises so it won't be too hot but it'll let more light through in the colder months. The floor will only be half the length of the bottom so they have room to hop up there. Gonna add a roost across long ways.

5. roseyred

Jun 5, 2014
    I'm even thinking about making a wall flap, like I have on the side of the bottom area, on the front of the bottom area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by