1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop ventilation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kyerosechicks, Apr 29, 2016.

1. kyerosechicks

kyerosechicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2016
    Canada
    What is the best way to add ventilation to an already existing coop without causing drafts? [​IMG][​IMG]

2. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We cut a rectangle (maybe 6" x 18") through the wall near the roof and covered it with hardware cloth. We also added windows. This was an existing shed.

3. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    What coop? Lots of options, depending on what you have.

Can you share a picture?

4. kyerosechicks

kyerosechicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2016
    Canada

Yes here are some shots .... we are going to put it up on legs off the ground and the sides open for lots of ventilation but when we close the coop for the night there is no air flow.... we have wet cold winters so I don't want it too drafty..... we are also going to paint and put on a roof
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  5. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    It's tiny, and short. Dimensions? Birds will need at least four sq. ft. in the coop, or more, each. Ventilation is a huge priority in any season! You could hardware cloth the south facing wall, and add large openings in the walls at the roof peaks. It might work for a few bantams. A walk-in larger coop is much more user friendly! Mary

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    If you have a solid run roof, leaving one side open all year would work too. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by