Coop Ventilation

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mountaineer, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2016
    This will be my first winter with chickens. I have eight hens that are about 8 months old. I have my entire run and coop underneath a carport so rain and snow are not issues. My run is 8' x 15' and my coop is 4' deep x 8' long x 4' high. It is elevated so I can stand outside the coop and clean it. I have river sand in the run and in the coop so scooping poop is easy and I do it every day or every couple of days. Since the coop is under cover I did not put a solid roof on it but only hardware cloth. I also have a window on the long side about 2' long by 9" high and a window on one short side this is about 14" wide and 9" high. The winters here can get very cold...single digit cold. My question is, since I plan on covering the windows with plywood or plexi-glass, should I put a solid roof on the coop or leave it open for ventilation to reduce the chances of moisture accumulation and frost bite. The hen's heads are within a foot of the roof.

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! So glad you could join us! I started a winter chicken keeping thread a few weeks ago, and it has a ton of knowledgeable members about winter chicken keeping, why don't you post your question there? Here is a link to it:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ks-for-coping-the-elements-with-your-chickens. Thanks for joining us, I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Mountaineer, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! CuzChickens gave you a great link to research. Best wishes! :)

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would put a solid roof over the top for winter or they will be snowed in and flooded in spring in your rainy season. They don't need a totally open roof for ventilation. The solid roof, and some hardware cloth covered vents just beneath it for ventilation. I would also put lower roost for the birds don't have a draft blowing on them. You may want to check out the coops section or other advice or suggestions.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2016
    Thanks, but as I said snow and rain can't get to the coop since it's under a carport.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by