Coop Ventilation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ziasun, Oct 14, 2009.

1. ziasun

ziasun Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2009
    Eastern New Mexico
    I have a question about ventilation and how much is necessary. We live in the High Plains of NM, and are subject to very high winds and freezing temps in the winter. As we built our coop I may have made it to winterized. I have caulked all gaps and places where the wind might rip through. For ventilation we drilled several large holes in the roof and used a plumbing ventilation cap, so air can move in and out, but water can't get in. Is this going to be enough? Looking at pics of other coups with all the ventilation, I am worried about ours.

Also, we didn't put a window in, it's a small coop and I again was concerned that a window would allow more cold air to seep in. We do have a hatch for them to move down into the run that allows some light in, but with the hatch closed it's dark in there. Will they need more light? I will only close the hatch at night, and when it is very cold.

We are so green at this, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    You should read patandchickens Big Ol' Ventilation Page - a must read!

I think you can seach for it using BYCs search feature - or click the link in Pat's sig...

Good luck!

3. ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by