Coop vs Run materials

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickenMamaC, Jun 14, 2018.

1. ChickenMamaC

ChickenMamaC Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    Santa Fe, NM
    BlackHackle likes this.
  2. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    $23 for that?! Girlfriend, do yourself a favor and save money......go gather the neighbors uncut dried tall grass and use that instead!

BlackHackle likes this.
  3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My pens for all of my coops are around 20 feet x 60 feet. I don't use anything in them but they are large enough for the birds and they are always scratching in it. For my coops which have wood floors, I use pine shaving which I also use in the nest boxes. I have some coops with dirt floors which I rake out under the roosts where most of the poop is.
    IMG_20180503_094047.jpg

4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I'm a fan of deep litter but since you're in the desert you actually might be better off with sand in the run... I assume it's usually very dry where you're at? IMO deep litter works best in areas that get some regular rainfall, to help the stuff break down.

BlackHackle likes this.
  5. ChickenMamaC

ChickenMamaC Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    Santa Fe, NM
    We are high desert. We get some insane rains in July usually but that's it. We do get the occasional good snow in the winter. We work full time away from the house so I just want to do whatever will be most sanitary with needing intensive daily cleaning.

BlackHackle likes this.
  6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    As I understand it with sand it's pretty much just scooping poop once or twice a day. I scoop up the big obvious poops on deep litter as well, just so I don't step on them.

BlackHackle likes this.
  7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    In the summer when it's HOT I have some sprinklers in some of the pens that pretty much cover all of the pens. I put it on for awhile to cool the sand. When it's hot the sand is hot and the birds don't like it. They walk around when in the sun like they are walking on a hot bed of coals. They do have shade/rain tables in all of the pens and trees.

8. llombardo

llombardo Songster

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I had some pieces of artificial grass that I cut up for the nest boxes. They are not using them to nest yet but they are nice and soft and can be rinsed withThe Jose as needed.

ChickenMamaC likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: