1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop vs. Run

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SoCal-ludic, Jan 28, 2016.

1. SoCal-ludic

SoCal-ludic Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2016
    Rancho Cucamonga
    I am new at this. I have built a coop that has a raised roost - 5 ft X 6 ft - with a secure coop of about 6ft X 14ft. I built three nest boxes in the roost area, with a lid which can be accessed from outside the coop. I only have 3 nesting boxes in the roost. I plan on building additional nesting boxes on the floor of the coop. The question is will any hens go back into the roost to lay eggs during the day? If not, the why did I build the nesting access to the coop? Like I said - I am new at this, and maybe not too smart.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Once they get in the habit of using the nest boxes, that is where they will lay their eggs. However, new layers don't know where you want them to lay. Getting them to use the nest boxes can take time and patience. Dummy eggs inside the nest boxes will help to show them where their eggs are supposed to go, but it can take weeks for them to be able to control exactly where and when they lay. In the meantime, you can and will find eggs all over the place.

3. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    Ditto [email protected] it takes some practice, then they will have a habit of laying in the nesting boxes. I got 15 layers right now w/ 8 nesting boxes but they only use 3 or 4.

4. SoCal-ludic

Jan 17, 2016
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Thanks for that input. I still have the question will the hens go back up the ramp, thru the door into the secure roost area during the day to lay their eggs. Again, I have built 3 nest attached to this overnight roost area which I can open from outside the coop. Do chickens go in and out of the roost area during the day?

5. guardrail

guardrail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2016
    Clarksburg WV
    They will go in to lay eggs during the day.

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    When they feel the urge to lay, they will seek out a shelter, quiet, private place to lay their eggs. For most chickens kept in a run/coop setup, the coop is where they are naturally going to seek out a spot to lay.

7. SoCal-ludic

Jan 17, 2016
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Thanks for the info. I still struggle to understand the terms to use. My entire "coop" is 6 X 15. I have a raised area about 5 X 6 (27 inches above the ground) which has a ramp to access with a automatic closing door which closes at dusk. I call that area the roost. The three nest areas are in this roost. Did you mean the hens will go back up the ramp and find these nest in the roost?

8. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The coop is the secure, predator proof area for sleeping and laying. The run is the outdoor pen. And yes, they will go back up to the coop to lay since that is the most secluded place they have to lay. They will probably spend time exploring the nest boxes as they get close to being ready to lay eggs. Some young pullets will 'practice' laying by sitting in the boxes several times a day even. It's like they enjoy teasing you with the possibility of that first egg. I've got one pullet that has been doing that to me for the last month. She's driving me crazy.

9. SoCal-ludic

Jan 17, 2016
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Thanks, that helps. I think my problem is that my entire "run" is a secure 6 X 15 foot building which is predator proof. The chickens would not have to go into the secure roost area if they did not want to. But I understand they need a "safe and quite place" to sleep. I was thinking about setting up some additional nest in the larger run area. Then just wait and see what they prefer. I still have to get through the brooder stage. Chicks to be delivered in about one week - 36 of them.

10. RachaelR32

RachaelR32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2015
    Your setup sounds similar to mine. The only one of mine to have started laying went back to what I call the sleeping area to lay with no problems. Shes's never laid anywhere else. Then she went broody in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by