1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop walls...cedar fence okay?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hmillie, Mar 14, 2016.

1. hmillie

hmillie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2016
    Hi everyone!
    I am working my way through the garden coop plans and I have a few questions I would love some input on. The plans call for double walls, first plywood then cedar boards over the top of the plywood. We live in the Pacific Northwest and rarely experience extreme cold, for the sake of time and money I was wondering if I could use just cedar fence boards w/ silicone In between (to account for shrinkage and make the walls rain tight) and not do plywood first? I did a plywood floor and being a 5'2" female w/ no table saw, it was a pain in the *****!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

I would recommend against using silicon anywhere the chickens will have access to it. They are terrible about picking things apart.

3. hmillie

hmillie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2016
    Even if I paint over it?

4. JayJo

JayJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you building the garden coop? We only used the plywood walls and skipped the cedar walls. We're in CA where it's warmer but aside from that caveat, it's worked well for us. Can you rent a circular saw for a day?

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    Critters will get through that cedar fencing; back it with exterior plywood, or double up the walls with another layer of wood, the use the pretty stuff on the outside. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by