Coop Walls

cricketsfarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
Nauvoo, AL
Can you use Black Board insulation board as wall siding on a chicken coop? will it harm the chicken? plans of painting it white. Or should i spend the extra money and use OSB?

I have no idea
big_smile.png
This will bump u up tho! I do know they tend to pick at the walls. That would be my only concern, but I'm not familiar with the board your're asking about.

The only black board insulation I know of is the sound proofing stuff. I can't imagine anything being cheaper (per thickness) as OSB. $6.99 a sheet here and you Americans surely can buy it cheaper... paint it and keep it from ground contact and it'll will last a LONG time!

If I understand your description of this “black board” it may be a product called Homasote. This product is no longer manufactured. The product was popular in the 60’s – 70’s as exterior grade wall sheathing. However the product was quickly removed from the market due to one major fact that it was saturated with asphalt, which made the boards extremely flammable. The product would flash quickly into a toxic black fire. There were several studies that had been conducted linking the product to occupants of the home becoming severely sick. I would not recommend using this black fibrous board for interior wall sheathing regardless painted or not. It is soft the chickens will likely peck at it then ingest it. I used plywood as sheathing in our coop.

Last edited:
If I understand your description of this “black board” it may be a product called Homasote. This product is no longer manufactured. The product was popular in the 60’s – 70’s as exterior grade wall sheathing. However the product was quickly removed from the market due to one major fact that it was saturated with asphalt, which made the boards extremely flammable. The product would flash quickly into a toxic black fire. There were several studies that had been conducted linking the product to occupants of the home becoming severely sick. I would not recommend using this black fibrous board for interior wall sheathing regardless painted or not. It is soft the chickens will likely peck at it then ingest it. I used plywood as sheathing in our coop.

yep that stuff. it is black insulated flammable sheeting that you put on houses before you put on the final siding. We just put it on our new house. Ok. Bad idea for chicken coop.
I'll stick with the OSB. My grandfather suggested the black board cause it was so cheap. I suggested painting it white so it wouldn't get so hot in the coop during the summer.
I had forgotten the flammable part of the insulation board. Roops.​

Quote:
yep that stuff. it is black insulated flammable sheeting that you put on houses before you put on the final siding. We just put it on our new house. Ok. Bad idea for chicken coop.
I'll stick with the OSB. My grandfather suggested the black board cause it was so cheap. I suggested painting it white so it wouldn't get so hot in the coop during the summer.
I had forgotten the flammable part of the insulation board. Roops.

Personally I think bad idea to install on any structure except for outbuilding that will not be occupied by humans or animals. The reason people were becoming extremely ill from the Homasote wall sheathing was that it “Off Gasses” toxic fumes rather heavily initially after installation, then decreases slightly during the life of the product. Also it will increase off gassing as it becomes heated under the exterior siding. The fumes enter the house through wall penetrations and openings e.g.; electrical outlets, seams around window and door openings etc.

The product pulled from the market after the mass media exposure in the late 70’s to it’s carcinogenic effects on building occupants and the intense fire hazard it presented. The product also presented serious respiratory health issues for those that were involved in manufacturing and construction workers handling and cutting the sheathing. I was not aware this product is still available for sale anywhere in the states. Where did you purchase this Homasote sheathing?

I know there are other “black board” products available for exterior wall sheathing such as “Celotex”, but that is another story in it’s own.

Back
Top Bottom