Coop Walls

buffslat

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011
Southeast Missouri
Will OSB hold up well if it has a good coat or two of paint? Would I be better off using plywood? I would have to paint either way since the plywood wouldn't be treated. Also should I enclose the interior walls? I live in Southeast Missouri so I shouldn't have to insulate should I?

Thanks
Steve

If you use the OSB, I'd use a really thick porch paint on it to preserve it (inside and out), jmo. Plywood would do okay just with regular exterior paint. You won't need anything on the inside unless you insulate.

Something to think about with OSB. If you use it and it gets wet, it may start to separate.

If it does, your chickens will likely pick at it.

OSB, once wet, will harbor mold and/or mildew (rot) inside.

7/16" OSB @ Lowes is $7.97

15/32 Plywood is $15.57

Yes, plywood is about 2X the price, but how many sheets do you need? Even at 10 sheets, you're still only $80 difference for the whole project.

Build it once, or build it again later ;)

Just a thought.

PS- Our coop is raised on 6x6 posts, so I hung 2x6 floor joists and used tongue-n-groove (TNG) plywood for the floor. It really sealed MUCH better. Though it was more, I only needed 3 sheets. We covered the floor (and a little up the walls) with sheet linoleum from the local outlet store to help prevent rot as we use the deep litter method.

- JC

Unless it is covered, OSB will not hold up to weather over a very long time. Even painted, it will shrink/expand in the sun and chip the paint - opening the material up to damage.

I would go with the plywood to save myself redoing the coop within a few years. . . and even with the plywood, a good coat of stain or paint is a must.

I would go with the plywood to save myself redoing the coop within a few years. . . and even with the plywood, a good coat of stain or paint is a must.

I had some KILZ left over from a project. Sprayed it on, let it dry completely, Another heavy coat, let it dry. Both inside and out.

Paint is one of the easiest ways to protect your work. Don't forget the ends of the wood ;)

- JC

I used OSB in the interior of my coop thinking I was saving money. It sucked up the primer, had to put on two coats, then two coats of paint. It would have been cheaper to go with the plywood. Live and learn.

Plywood is always superior to OSB except as an underlayment for flooring in DRY areas

I agree with this post. But I used OSB for the intrerior of my walls with plywood on the exterior only. I just put a few good coats of paint on it and it has held up really well. If you build a good coop the walls should not get wet on the inside. I did use 3/4 ply on the floor and caulked all the seams in the walls though. It just depends on how much you want to put into it I guess.

As stated OSB will not hold up on a exterior surface. Even if painted. We used exterior t11 paneling for the outside. It is holding up very well.

I used 7/16" OSB on my interior coop walls. My flock of 15 have had no picking issues with the wood for the last 6 months. Single coat of cheap oil-based Valspar floor/porch paint about 3' up the walls to keep the errant poos easy to scrpae off at a later date. If OSB has worked for the interior walls of my garage, metal barns and toolshed over the last 15 years there is no reason that it will not hold up as well as plywood for a lower cost. I say go with the OSB for the inside.

I also sheathed the exterior of my coop with 7/16" OSB and coated it x 2 with exterior paint for 4 months until I could decide how I was going to finish the exterior. I went with metal siding that was left over from the last barn we built on our property and screwed directly into the OSB.

Back
Top Bottom