1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coop ? We are going to let YOU decide

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by navychick, Jun 4, 2011.

1. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    I need the help of all you chicken coop professionals. We are in the process of building our coop (2nd weekend in). We have it framed and are installing the exterior type of nesting boxes. Our coop interior is 6.5ft square and we are planning on keeping 12 chickens. The chicks are coming July 5th. We have 4 lovely nest boxes finished on one side of the coop and my husband wants to build 4 more on the opposite wall which would be in the run area. As it would give the coop a more symmetrical look. He is warning me that once this coop is finished he has no plans on "tweeking" it later. I say 4 is enough as our coop isn't large enough to house additional birds. What do you guys think? What ever the majority think by 8 am is the plan. Thanks!

2. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    P.S. Feel free to ask questions. As a "New Egg" I am dying to "Hatch".

3. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    4 boxes is plenty for 12 chickens. I have 3 boxes for 12.

4. littlebirdoz

littlebirdoz Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Riverhead
    4 is plenty.

5. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Four is plenty unless you are going to get 12 more birds. I have 12 girls and three nests. I added a fourth one because I thought it was crowded (after seeing them sharing a nest). Nobody uses it. Ever. My coop is 8/8/8. Believe me, four nests will be all you need.

My opinion is, if you build four more nests, you will just be wasting your time, supplies, and space.

6. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Four boxes will be just fine.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    4 boxes is PLENTY for 12 chickens and unless you live in a Maui-like climate I would not consider putting more chickens in there, so I'd say the heck with "symmetry" LOL

Good luck, have fun, welcome to BYC,

Pat

8. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I'm with the majority, 4 is plenty. By the way [​IMG], have fun and enjoy your new adventure. You will want more.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  9. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

More than 4 is a waste of materials when that wall space can be another area that can be screened for air flow

10. janf1914

janf1914 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    4 will be plenty for 12 birds. If you build more you might be tempted to get more birds and you don't want to overcrowd your coop. Just sayin'.......[​IMG]

Married to a wonderful, handy husband with 3 beautiful daughters and 4 silly chickens - 1 BO, 1 RIR, 1 Ameracauna, and 1 ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by