Coop websites or if from Connecticut where could I go locally.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jennym, May 8, 2008.

1. Jennym

Jennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Connecticut
    When I tell all of my friends out there how hard it has been for me to try and find a nice coop at a reasonable price - jeepers it's been a pain in the butt! I saw a very nice looking one and got excited. It was a 4x6 for 750.00 but they wanted 450.00 to ship it. What are they nuts? [​IMG] It's only going from PA to CT
    If anyone knows of any decent sites to explore please send them my way. Chicks arrive Tuesday and the DH has no time to build one, I already asked. We have many projects going on right now.
    I'm so depressed thinking about this. when I think of my chicks arriving it makes me smile.[​IMG]
    I'm going out this weekend to search as I work during the week so it's hard. [​IMG]

2. chickachickawhat

chickachickawhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    theres a place in canton ct called canton feed and supply and they have a 8' by 12' coop. i dont remember how much it is but its really nice. and tractor supply in winsted has the rabbit hutch where u can prolly keep 3 chickens in

3. Jennym

Apr 10, 2008
    Connecticut
    I'm getting six females but I'll try to check it out. Thanks!

4. ratlummountain

ratlummountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    barkhamsted, CT
  5. Jennym

Apr 10, 2008
    Connecticut
    No, we already discussed. By the time you pay gas and rent a trailer, and maybe spend the night.
    [​IMG]

6. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Jenny right now the cost of diesel fuel is like I have never seen it, some trucks are not even moving because of it. To expensive to move them. Actually that price is not bad from PA to CT,,,add miles per truck, price per gallon etc. Try looking closer to home, even Lowe's or Home Depot might have something close to what will work for you. There are also many shed places that would and do make nice chicken coops. Good Luck.

7. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    What about a tin shed from home depot.

I have 6 chickens in an extra large dghouse. I got one shipped to my house for $125. I was unfinished, but took me minutes to pop it together, paint it and throw a door on it.

Works great.

My dad makes them, but cost wise........????

8. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    We're using two dog houses that were both free. One has two hens in it and the other has my two ducks. It's a lot bigger than the chicken one and will hold two more ducks eventually. We looked at sheds locally too and it was just more cost effective to build our own. Luckily DH can do that. I'd be in trouble if I had to build anything!

9. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Post an ad in Craigslist.com and saying your are looking for a coop or for some one to build you a coop. You can somtimes find nice people who are willing to build a good coop for under $300 And you'll make a chicken loving friend.

10. ratlummountain

ratlummountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    barkhamsted, CT
    Quote:this is a fantastic idea. i'm sure there are more than a few carpenter savvy peole who are always looking for side work for extra cash ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by