Coop window cover?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kar0427, Apr 2, 2015.

1. kar0427

kar0427 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    Nicholasville, Ky
    I'm renovating an old coop structure that has about a 2x3 wired window on one side. It has no provision for closing it off in case of severe weather and is situated where rain/snow would blow in pretty freely.
    I'm looking for the easiest non-handy person way to be able to secure the window during storms if needed. Any suggestions much appreciated!

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Shutters. Make one large or two half size shutters that would latch when closed. It doesn't have to be a louvered or even pretty thing. Plywood cut to size, a few hinges and a simple latch.

3. kar0427

kar0427 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    Nicholasville, Ky
    Even I could probably manage that. I love the ventilation but I'm not sure why they put windows on that side when building it considering the wind tunnel coming across that field. However, it might have had some type of cover at one time long, long ago.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You can hinge the cover at the top and prop it open with a stick. Then you create an awning and still have ventilation.
    You can also cover it more and cut a window in the opposite side of the building.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by