1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop window - Will raccoons break glass?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jonalisa, Sep 11, 2013.

1. jonalisa

jonalisa Codswallop!

May 28, 2013
    NH
    My Coop
    I will have a stationary window (that doesn't open) in my coop. Would a raccoon ever think to break the glass?
    I have been assuming no - but I hear stories about raccoons being very intelligent and it created a picture in my mind of raccoons throwing rocks... or carrying concealed glass cutters[​IMG].

Seriously, is glass an issue with any predators?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Hahaha sorry, but coons with glass cutters!! Made me chuckle.

I haven't read anything about a predator going thru a glass window......but, a bear might.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    We don't have raccoons where I live so I'm not 100% sure, but I highly doubt a raccoon could brake glass :)

4. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    If you're worried you can apply security laminate to the inside of the glass.

5. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    If you made the windows from singe pane 1/16" glass (used in picture frames etc) then I would replace it with thicker glass. If it is a real window intended for a house, you should have no issue. When in doubt, attach hardware wire to provide additional security to the window. I have 2 windows and 1 sceen door on my coop all covered with hardware wire, and it will keep a coon out no problem. Last summer I had to replace two screens on my house when a bear leaned up against the window to get the bird feeder hanging from the eave. He shredded the screens, and left muddy paw prints on the windows. I often wonder how easily a bear could get into my house, let alone the chicken coop!

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Black bears and brown bears (Griz bears) kill about the same number of humans every year in the USA. The brown bear attacks usually happen when a griz and a human surprise each other on the trail. The black bear attacks however seem more like feeding behavior and more often than Walt Disney wishes to admit they involve a black bear breaking and entering a human dwelling (or tent) to get a warm meal.

Yes I suppose that a coon could break out a window but you would have to really rear back and hurl that coon hard to break a window out with him.

In my book there has yet to be a coon born that thinks, and I will continue to believe that until I see my first coon armed with a hammer for breaking glass.

However if you ever get a pet raccoon and go off and leave him in your home for a week end, when you return you will swear to the insurance adjuster that the coon was armed with a Homelite chain saw. They can be evil destructive pests just because they can.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I would cover the window with hardware clothe just to be safe. Raccoons are SMART, they are also STRONG. They've had no problem moving cinder blocks around my run, ripping thru chicken wire and busting out of my have-a-heart trap. I have no doubt they could break a window. Consider that they break into huge numbers of homes each year to scavenge and nest. Better safe than sorry...

8. jonalisa

jonalisa Codswallop!

May 28, 2013
    NH
    My Coop
    Thanks everyone, for your input!
    jonalisa

PS.
    Yes I suppose that a coon could break out a window but you would have to really rear back and hurl that coon hard to break a window out with him.

Love it!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by