Coop Window with screens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chickenshoe, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Chickenshoe

Chickenshoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    ok coop Guru's... Im installing two windows with screens, since windows are opened from the inside, is it advisable to cover the inside of the window with hardware cloth?, screen material is easily torn.. doing that, wont be able to open the windows, or should I install hardware cloth on outside? that would not be best for looks, but safer, other options? thanks

2. Davidhalpern2

Davidhalpern2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    I just put my window high enough where the birds can't get to it

3. Davidhalpern2

Davidhalpern2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    [​IMG]

4. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    What purpose does the screen serve? I don't have screen and don't miss it.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Part of it depends on how you windows are made and attached. The purpose of securely putting hardware cloth over the window opening is to keep predators out while allowing ventilation of your coop, especially in hot weather. Some windows can’t be opened if you block the inside, some can’t be opened if you block the outside. Some may be a problem no matter what you block. Man predators can slice through screens like they aren’t there.

For some people appearance is tremendously high on the list of priorities. That’s understandable if neighbors are concerned you are running down property values. One way to possibly put the hardware cloth on the outside would be to use wood furring over the ends of the hardware cloth and paint it. That not only makes it look nice and neat, it keeps you from snagging clothing or skin on the edges and makes it a little harder for a critter to get a good grip to rip the hardware cloth off.

6. Chickenshoe

Chickenshoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    thanks for the information, screens don't serve much purpose for a chicken coop as they can be cut easily, will look into painting the hardware cloth..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by