Coop with lots of floor space - but not so tall

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SundownWaterfowl, Mar 14, 2011.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I was wondering if anybody here has a coop that has alot of floor space but it isn't very tall, maybe 3 ft tall. I want to make something, with 2 sections, so I can put two different breeding groups of birds inside. I want alot of floor space, and about 3ft tall. Instead of having doors, I would like just the roof to lift up, for cleaning/gathering eggs,etc.

Anybody have anything like this? It will be for Silkies. I'd love to see pictures if you do.

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I don't have one, but I have thought of having one with a slide out floor on the upper level for easy cleaning. I would only make it maybe three feet deep though, maybe six feet long. Or maybe six by six and a slide out on either side... which you can see why I have not tackled building it, LOL haven't even decided what to make.

3. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    I have seen tractor style coops that are 3 ft high with hinged lids. Apparently they work.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

In order for the roof and the roofing materials to be heavy enough not to be blown off during high wind storms and be heavy enough to carry the snow load, it is possible to make it very difficult to lift off. There is a balance there.

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    How much floor space are you planning? To have a lot of floor space you would have such a large covered area I think lifting the roof would be too difficult, unless it was hinged and you only lifted a section. How many birds and how many square feet?

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I was thinking having it 8ft long so I would end up with two 4ft long sections (two 4ft cubes).

The roof would be hinged, with some sort of lock on it, so it can't blow up, or racoons lift it up. It will be a permenent coop, with a large run.

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I think two 8x2'x would be a lot easier to reach and clean. Maybe a door on either end to cut "social tension"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by