Coop without electric

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stone_family3, Oct 29, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    So this morning I went out to let the girls out and they were royally ticked at me, apparently the water froze. I poked my finger through the ice and broke it up. Is there a non electrical way to keep water from freezing.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Keeping water from freezing in Ohio winter? No.

Save the headache and hassle of carrying fresh water several times a day by running an exterior extension cord to your run or coop. People use a myriad of heating devices from pie tin sandwich over christmas light to winter dog bowls to the 3 gallon heated poultry waterer. I use the later and doubles as extra waterer in summer. Less fill ups, less hassle and no worries the girls have constant non frozen water access.

3. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    If there is no electric present or near by, you may want to consider investing in a solar panel. They can be found relatively cheap (under $200.00) at Harbor Frieght.

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    We just run extension cords out to all of the coops.

5. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

My coop is wired, but I do run extension cords out to my stock tank because it takes TWO heaters to keep the water open. (it's large) I would run an extension cord out to your coop. You can buy a $40 water heater that your water sits on top of. OR you could make your own heater! You need a cookie tin-- 10 inches across and 3.5 inches deep. Put x-mas lights in it, or put in a ceramic socket for a 40 watt chandelier light bulb. (long and skinny bulb that will fit in the cookie tin well. I bought cheap indoor extension cords, cut off the ends and wire them up to the socket. Do a search for Cookie Tin Water Heater here on the board and there are many people who have showed how they did it. Here is one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=107951 You can put in x-mas lights too- but they will really need to heat up. If they are LED, they won't produce enough heat. They need to be the big outdoor kind. Good luck!

6. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks everyone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by