Coop wood or dirt floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by slillie, Jan 2, 2013.

1. slillie

slillie Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2012
    I'm building a coop (4x9). What are the pros and cons of putting a wood floor versus a dirt floor. I'm leaning towards dirt but wanted to check with others. Thanks for any insights you can give..

2. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    Welcome to BYC!

I only know of one thing and that is that if the floor is wood you'll need to be sure that it's very smooth! Otherwise the chicken might get a splinter in their foot and it could cause bumblefoot! I'm also busy building a coop for mine to sleep in and I'm only using wood! But what I'll do is put a thick layer of hay on the floor so they don't touch the wood!

3. BethanyS

BethanyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    dirt floors are great during the summer. keeping a bear dirt floor will help keep them cool. since winter has rolled around we put wood pallets down in our chicken coop floor to keep them out of the cold mudd. i layed some recycled press bored over them and covered with hay.when weather warms up ill take them back out

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  4. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Wood...Pros... much more predator proof because digging critters have a hard time getting through (skunks, snakes,rats, possums dogs, etc.) smooth, probably drier since it elevates coop slightly above ground level and can be insulated
    if you want to add that. level floor can be easier for setting feed and water buckets etc.,
    probably less humidity during damp weather.
    Cons.... costs more, can cause splinters if rough boards are used, needs some upkeep to prevent rot

Dirt..... Pros... may be cooler, birds can dig into it to create their own 'dust bath' area if they are so inclined. (some folks may see this as a pro, some as a con) , softer on feet,
    cheaper, and if in a well drained area then bedding may compost well.
    Cons..... may be difficult to keep dry unless you build in an area with really good drainage or elevation.

These are just one person's opinions , but may be food for thought...

5. puglady

puglady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    NH
    I use wood to help keep the critters out. For cleaning I get the least expensive (clearance price) vinyl flooring possible and put it down with a staple gun and hammer the staples in. I then put bedding over this. The vinyl helps prevent bumblefoot and is so much easier cleaning than wood.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you want to try the deep litter method, dirt flooring is a must. You can use pine shavings, fallen leaves, pine needles, and other things such as dried grass, and let them break down with the dirt and chicken droppings. If done correctly it will be cool in the summer, provide warmth in the winter, and easily maintained by occasional fluffing with a rake. You can shovel it all out once a year for compost in your garden or just keep adding to it. There are beneficial microbes in deep litter that can keep your chickens healthy. There is a deep litter thread here for more info.

7. slillie

slillie Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2012
    Thanks very much. This is helpful and kind of my thinking. Have a great winter season..

8. lbrtyldy

lbrtyldy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2011
    I use the deep litter method in my coop with a wood floor.

1 person likes this.
  9. chickentooth

chickentooth Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Hartland, Michigan
    Dirt will continue to wear away as you clean your coop. I have wood and even put those 12x12 linolium tiles down so i can give a good mopping every now and then.

1 person likes this.
  10. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Can I say both? I like my coop area where the birds sleep being fully enclosed with the wood floor. I don't worry about anything digging under the coop and killing my birds in the night. During the day they spend all day on dirt, outside ranging and doing chicken things.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by