1. New Hen Mama

New Hen Mama Chirping

Jul 13, 2019
    Georgia
    i was leaning on getting this coop for Lucy and maybe a friend or 2.. it says it holds 4 hens.. but don’t think I will be getting that many.. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

Susan Dye and Charlenesmom like this.
  2. noregerts

noregerts Songster

Feb 24, 2019
    Seymour TN
    This set-up is very small. I'd say no more than 2 adult birds could live in there.

3. TooCheep

TooCheep Chirping

Feb 23, 2019
    Indiana
    Commercial coops *always* lie about capacity. My "8 chicken" coop is slightly undersized for three. That one does look small. Do you have a link to the product so that we can check dimensions?

4. New Hen Mama

New Hen Mama Chirping

Jul 13, 2019
    Georgia
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Susan Dye likes this.
  5. When I first thought I'd get chickens I looked into a small prebuilt coop since I can't build anything using anything more demanding than Scotch tape and nylon zip ties.

The sad truth is: THEY SUCK. They can't be relied upon. They're built of cheap materials that won't hold up. They're too small. They won't offer protection from predators. They're down on the ground meaning you will constantly be bent in half. ...which is an excellent position from which to second think your original plan.

Give this some serious thought, New Hen Mama. I don't want to discourage you because having chickens is quite a wonderful experience. But if you decide that you want to do it, ask yourself what you can commit to it in terms of money and space. Then maximize those resources, build or order a well built and well designed coop, get some chicks and get ready for some fun and some yummy eggs. If you aren't ready to spend some money to provide an adequate space for the safety of your birds and your future as a chicken keeper, that's OK but you'll be happier with a canary or a parrot.

It may be you can plan for a small coop and run built of adequate materials and made predator proof. It may be you can start out with 3 birds -- the generally established minimum for their comfort. And it may be you can come up with a plan that can be adapted later for a bigger flock. That would be the way to go.

I truly hope this won't discourage you. My husband and I enjoy our chickens more now than we ever thought we would 3 years ago when we started. I just want you to understand that you'll have your best experience if you start out well and start out planning for success and healthy happy chickens. ...even if that will cost multiples -- MULTIPLES -- of those substandard prefab coops.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  6. New Hen Mama

New Hen Mama Chirping

Jul 13, 2019
    Georgia
    You didn’t discourage meat all,Lucy (my hen) just appeared in my yard about 4 weeks ago.. so I am trying to get her a safer place than my front porch.. it’s where she picked to sleep and lay eggs.. lol.. You mentioned getting a parrot.. in fact I do have a double yellow head Amazon and a sun conure.. I am a BIG bird lover :).. I only want to do right for Lucy and value all input.. it’s why I posted it here.. I thank you for taking the time and replying to me.

Susan Dye, Nardo and Wee Farmer Sarah like this.
  7. TooCheep

TooCheep Chirping

Feb 23, 2019
    Indiana
    Hate to say it New Hen Mama, but that would even be crowded for two normal sized hens. The most commonly quoted numbers are 4sqft/bird in the coop and 10sqft/bird in the run. This one has 4sqft in the coop and 9sqft in the run. Sorry, but I really don't recommend this. Chickens are flock creatures and 2 is an absolute minimum (3+ is better).

8. New Hen Mama

New Hen Mama Chirping

Jul 13, 2019
    Georgia
    Ok.. thanks.. still looking

Susan Dye and Wee Farmer Sarah like this.
  9. TexasWineGuy

TexasWineGuy Songster

Jun 15, 2019
    Magnolia, TX
    Agree with the other posters. I was given one of the below "kit" coops/run. The box says it houses "5-7" hens, which is insane.

The reality is that this "Red Barn" kit is really only good for, wait for it, - ONE hen. It's pathetic.

Here's my interim solution t 20190628_090653.jpg 20190713_085854.jpg o the small size of the Red Barn kit. This is temporary while I'm building a much larger Coop and a 8x16' run.

Go big, no matter what you do.

TWG

10. New Hen Mama

New Hen Mama Chirping

Jul 13, 2019
    Georgia

Thank you.. guess I go big or go home .. lol

Susan Dye and Wee Farmer Sarah like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: