coop??? :/

stumble_n_mumble

Songster
11 Years
Nov 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
hmm.png
so im puzzled. i am building a coop/run thing. i will get the measurements tomorrow if you guys are wondering what it is. but i wanna build a coop... im not sure how or what i need. i want a basic standing coop. i currently have a pekin duck and a silkie.. they will be house together.. i can only have a max of 6 poultry animals where i live... so it doesnt have to be huge.. any ideas. please help!! THANKS!!

Well, I'm at a bit of a loss, because I've never housed ducks before! Other than a pool outside, I'm not sure what accommodations ducks need. You probably need to plan an area for them to sleep on the floor, rather than a roost.

Do you have a budget for how much you can spend? Do you have any tools, like a saw, hammer, etc.?

If you look at the very top of the page, there is a link called "Coop Designs." You can look at some of the coops there, to see if any appeal to you.

For just your duck and a silkie, you could probably even modify a dog house. Or you could build something larger. Do you think you want to get more chickens or ducks? Also, what area of the country do you live in? It helps to know what your weather is like.

hello. i was thinking something the along the lines of a walk they can go up into a house that has a nice floor space but is tall for the chicken to roost. i hope to get more but well see im only allowed 6 where i live. i live in eastern long island (about an hour and a half from the city). i have all the tools. and most of the wood.. just not sure what to build. and no money really is not a problem. thanks!!

That all sounds very good! If you already have tools, some wood and can afford other materials you might need, you are in great shape. You can probably do just about anything you'd like.

Now you just need to decide what you want to build. Looking at other people's coops is always a good way to get ideas on what you like. Some of the people that have their coops on the coop design pages did a very nice job taking step-by-step pictures as they built their coops, too. That can be very helpful, if you find something you like.

It can be nice to have at least part of your run roofed, especially in areas that get snow. Other than that, most coops should work pretty well for you. Maybe just look at more coop pictures and see if you like the looks of any of them.

On youtube...there is a guy who made a tractor out of 4 pallets!!!! It actually looks pretty cool!!!

I like the A frame style for just a few!!

BoJo

You could probably get by with a big dog house. Dont let yourself get overwelmed. Keep it simple and, make it easy to clean out. You will probably modify it as your needs change. Make sure to defend against predators too.

Back
Top Bottom