Coop

Leah and peeps

Songster
13 Years
Jun 28, 2009
Canada
Anyone ever order a coop from Critter-Cages? How were they? Thinking of ordering one from them i just wanted to know others experience with them.... Thanks in advance!
smile.png

I bought a coop and run from a locale feed store. The coop was a chicken cabin from Ware manufacturers. It's..ok for Bantams for the summer. My chickens are in it now. Myt suggestion is to build one, sturdy enough for weather. the prefab coops to me, are just not big enough.

The only problem is that im deffinitly not the builder type.. or else i would build one of mmy own... Im lookin in to the Chick-N-Barn for 5 sex-links... whatcha think?? anyone else had there coops?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Those are not built well and certainly not quality materials (wood splits easily) nor long lasting.
sad.png
Better to pay a local person to build you one that will last. There is another thread about it too--do a search and maybe you'll find it.

here's the thread... it was started by me..
smile.png

the first post has the link to the one we bought. after assembly, (and research, and input from here) I wouldn't feel right putting only 2 chickens in it. and they claim it can house 4-6.
The locks are cheap, and I'd have to pay more money to buy more locks and re-stabilize all corners, etc. You're better off designing and building yourself. I start this weekend.
Or find a good design and hire someone. with their prices and shipping, you'll come out close to the same, with a MUCH NICER coop.
Remember: 4sg ft of FLOOR SPACE PER CHICKEN. and thats for just the inside, where they're locked up for the night.

Here ya go, give it a read...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=355518&p=5

Also, I see that you're from Canada and I've heard a couple of people say that those coops just don't stand up to the weather. You'd probably end up having to replace them in a couple of years. Seems better to just bite the bullet and get a better one the first time. Maybe check Craigslist for a better priced coop, or something you could convert?

Thanks!
big_smile.png
ya im not going to buy one from them ill just buy a shed and convert it because i cant find any other coops near me for sale
sad.png
... what do you think the shed i buy should be made from becuase i dont really wanna spend 4,000 bucks on a wood one
th.gif
.... would Galvanized steel make the cut??

Last edited:
I would do some checking around in the coop section of the forum. People have come up with lots of really creative and economical coops! Wish I had looked before I bought. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom