1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    1st post
    Help...can any tell me if you can use a cedar coop ? I bought a cheap kids playhouse to use as a coop, I thought it was pine but it smells like cedar and is white like pine.

I'm new but already addicted 2comets 2blk giants 1EE and 28 more to arrive on the 11th

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Cedar chips aren't good for poultry. I would think cedar could give you problems, too. But I am just not sure.

3. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I don't know if cedar siding would make much difference to adult chickens. You could always paint the inside. That would prevent any cedar offgases from getting in the coop. Use low VO paint of course [​IMG]

4. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    [​IMG]
    I wish I could help. I know you cab't use cedar bedding, but the coop???? I would not just to be safe but that is me. Anyway, just wanted to welcome you!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Quote:Cedar is more of a red color. It may be made of pine. I agree you can't use cedar chips/shavings for your litter, but I don't see that it would be a problem as a coop.

6. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    I was told by a BYC member that exterior cedar shingles wouldn't cause a problem. This is what I was considering doing to my barn this fall.

But cedar shavings are a big no-no.

7. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Thanks for the Info everyone. love.. BYC. I think I'll return it even if it's a great buy. We don't want to take any chances with our girls, well I think their girls anyway?? the whole coop is white cedar .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by