coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by stroudy36, Jan 14, 2015.

1. stroudy36

stroudy36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2014
    Im currently re building outdoor part of coop from 1mx2m to 2m x 3.5m but area is known for foxes and rats. I have laid a layer of wire mesh on ground under earth would this be substantial or would I need more

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

It depends on what type of wire you are using and how deeply you have buried it. Do not use chicken wire. It is very flimsy and can be ripped apart, chewed through and destroyed very easily. Hardware cloth only. These night time predators have a lot of time on their hands and will work at something til they get in.

Bury your wire deeply. Then reinforce the edges of rocks, bricks or something substantial. Things that know how to dig will do so.

You can always post a pic of your coop and area in our Coop and Run Construction forums for more help with your build.....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

Good luck with your build and if you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You might also check out the predator section for the mo's of the various scoundrels so you know what parts of coop and run to fortify.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

X2 on Two Crows. You don't want to use chicken wire, as most predators can easily rip right through it. Small 1/2 inch mesh such as hardware cloth works much better. Instead of digging and burying the wire, you could also create a wire apron that extends outward about two feet. Since most predators start digging right at the base of the coop, they'll run into the wire and be forced to stop. That's what I've done for my coops.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] We're glad you joined us!

You've been given some good advice by Two Crows and Wyandottes7.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on TwoCrow's post. Hardware cloth is the way to go as there are too many predators that can either tear through chicken wire or squeeze through the openings in the mesh. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in protecting your flock from predators.

7. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Good luck to you! Defiantly do not use chicken wire!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by