Cooped up or not?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenman48, Aug 11, 2011.

1. chickenman48

chickenman48 New Egg

Aug 10, 2011
    I saw my first up close urban chicken coop two days ago. Somethin' musta bit me, and I contracted chicken brain. I came here for relief.

The coop was in a fenced backyard and the chickens were running loose, free ranging, I suppose. I have investigated coop designs and wondered if it is absolutely necessary to have the chickens able to run free. I do not have a fenced back yard and so I see that letting them 'run wild' would pose many problems from poop to predators. Is it possible to raise healthy chickens without access to green grass and vegetation. Can it be added to their quarters?

I suppose there are some who will argue all chickens need recess to avoid prolonged therapy. Just wondering.

2. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    no your chickens don't have to run wild, but it is impossible to keep plant in there run without extensive measures, but you can pick things and put them in there for your chickens.

3. chickenman48

chickenman48 New Egg

Aug 10, 2011
    I think I get it-- you can't grow anything in there but you can add peelings and spent produce from the grocery store?

4. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    thats it [​IMG] I let my girls free range most days, but when they are stuck inside I give them what ever extra produce we have around, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, etc. Some folks grow wheat or rye grass in pots and then put them in the run for their chooks- they eat it pretty quick but it's a good way to get some greens in them. You could also make a "salad bar" https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=67374

5. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    Quote:I LOVE your coop and run!!! My boyfriend walked by as I was [​IMG] drooling over it and was like what do you want now? I said this! He said maybe in a few years lol

6. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Quote:I LOVE your coop and run!!! My boyfriend walked by as I was [​IMG] drooling over it and was like what do you want now? I said this! He said maybe in a few years lol

That is a monster coop! It almost brought a tear to my eye!
    I'm going to have to steal that "salad bar" idea!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by