cooper marans dying why??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mysilkiebrood, Jun 5, 2011.

1. mysilkiebrood

mysilkiebrood Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2009
    i have several chickens different breeds, i have 2 coops attatched to a large run. i bought a dozen cooper maran eggs, and 10 chicks about 1 week old. out of the eggs about 8 hatched. the chicks were raised and put outside at about 12 weeks. the chicks that hatched from eggs were also kept indoors untill they feathered. the chicks that hatched were fine until about 4 weeks old and for a week or so i would find one of the chicks dead. they were all healthy and eating i always keep a close eye on pasty butt and they were fed medicated chick feed. they were raised in pine shavings as are all my chickens.they were always in the corner when found lost 3 this way. after they feathered out we put them in a small brooder coop. they were in with some other species of chicks. in a span of 2 weeks we noticed one chick had a very crooked beak. never noticed that before . it seemed able to eat and drink. a few days later it developed a huge tumour over and covering its entire eye. it looked awful so we culled it. this week another of the chicks developed the same tumour on its eye and died a few days later. today my husband found one of the marans that we bought as chicks about 3 months old dead in the coup just laying on its side..the others seem fine. any ideas was wondering if the eggs came from a too much interbreeding or all just carried a defective gene?? and the chicks we bought at a week old has one dead now??? any answers would be appreciated. i should tell you i have not had any other chicks die just the marans

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Are you sure the swelling isn't from bug bites?

Some people have been having issues with buffalo gnats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by