cooper's hawk efforts fall short

smarsh

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2009
lexington, KY
I was standing in my kitchen when motion in the backyard caught my attention. The immature Cooper's Hawk was back and the hens were out this time. I had found him looking at them through the wiring before. He (actually likely a she by its size) was hovering over an EE, dropping down with talons extended, then back up to avoid the aggresive hen. My wife named her couragious. She left the ground as much as 3 feet several times, charged the hawk once when it settled in the yard, and finally exhausted the hawk to the point of giving up. Several days later and she is still walking a little bigger; it moved her up in the pecking order. Another hen didn't come out of hiding for at least 15 minutes. Haven't seen the hawk since.

I have seem similar. Coopers Hawk will not take on a chicken that is trying to meet it head on. Problem is most chickens do not act appropriately as yours did. Red-tailed hawk would have likely pressed attack but my rooters can whip one once it lands on ground but does not have rooster in its talons.

Back
Top Bottom