Coopers Hawk Makes Attack Run on Flock Living in Yard

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by centrarchid, Aug 23, 2014.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Today around 5:30 PM the yard flock of one adult rooster and hen, one juvenile almost young adult rooster and three juveniles was in garage avoiding heat. All of a sudden a big commotion could be herd in garage and dogs bolted out door to investigate. I was shortly behind dogs approaching front door and could see an adult female Coopers Hawk flying out of garage to a tree a couple hundred jars away. When it landed it turned around and looked at garage for the next couple of minutes. Juvenile chickens were hiding under chair with rooster standing out in open near their location. Hen and younger rooster hid behind riding mower. Dogs were sniffing about and looking into direction hawk left in. Hawk was really trying to take on a lot as rooster was quite willing to take her on and dogs would easily have finished job. This was the first time all production season that a hawk made a sortie on any of my birds. Juveniles are very much still vulnerable but are already to heavy for hawk to fly away with if chicks alive. TIme and effort required to dispatch a chick would be too long at the mercy of the rooster so as long as he is close no Coopers will get them.

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Wow. That was a brave hawk! She must have been hungry![​IMG]
    lol (i would never eat my chickens, but I just picture the hawk drooling! lol

3. chickengirls13

chickengirls13 New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    Do you keep a top on your chicken run?[​IMG]

4. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

No. The flock involved is totally free-range kept. Initial post intended to relate observation on how losses avoided with an alternative setup. Seldom loose birds to hawks but I get to see very interesting interactions that might help others deal more effectively with hawk problems, especially when covered run not employed.

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Coopers Hawk is coming in twice daily, first around ten in the morning then again around 5:30 in the afternoon. She is mobbed by songbirds (Eastern Bluebirds and Carolina Wrens). Chickens in foreground see her and stay grouped up and near cover (car to left is closest) although rooster stays out in view even when she makes an attack run.

First image does not make her obvious but she is obvious in the second.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This morning she preened for nearly an hour before leaving. Neighbor to north has birds even more vulnerable than mine as only a bunch of half grown pullets are running around.

6. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    wow ,,good roo and dogs,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by