Cooper's Hawk vs Blind Khaki Campbell

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Buxton Ducks, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Buxton Ducks

Buxton Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    Well this is just terrible, but hopefully somebody can learn from this. I came home today and noticed it was oddly quiet. All the ducks, chickens, and geese were in their respective houses. I pulled my car in the garage and heard a feather flapping struggle outside the door. I opened the back door to find a coopers hawk trying to pull Claude the completely blind Khaki drake through the chain link fence. I tried to kick the hawk but it let go and disappeared into the forest. Claude is bleeding from everywhere it seems. I drew a warm bath and let him soak for a little while but he is in rough shape. Poor guy, I never put into though that a hawk could get them through the side of the run. I knew raccoons would do this to a sleeping duck, but poor Claude is blind and must have walked right into it. I will be putting a taller and smaller mesh skirt up now.

Here is poor Claude seconds after it happened:
    [​IMG]

Here is what everybody else except the Muscovies did:
    [​IMG]

And the muscovies remained outside during the ordeal.... Note the blood in the picture's foreground:
    [​IMG]

2. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Poor guy! Hope he heals up just fine. Lucky that you got there just in time.

3. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Poor Claude! Hopefully he will survive his ordeal......how come he's blind??

4. Buxton Ducks

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    He was blind from birth and miraculously survived his brooding days. He listens for the other ducks eating and drinking and runs to the location. He has adapted amazingly well and even knows where to keep warm and where to cool off.

5. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    What a plucky little fellow! Hang in there Claude! [​IMG]

6. Buxton Ducks

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    Great news... Claude looks to be making a full recovery! His wounds are healed without infection and his spirits are high again. I am so happy, he is my favorite duck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by