Cooper's hawk vs ringneck

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sourland, Dec 15, 2010.

1. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Just as I finished my morning chores and sat down at the computer, I heard a thud against the house followed by the cackle of a ringneck c*ckbird. I then heard him cackling in the front flower bed. When I looked out the window, I saw an adult male Cooper's hawk attacking him. Instead of striking with one dive and holding the pheasant down, he was attacking in repeated short dives. I quickly ran outside and chased the hawk away. He was very reluctant to leave. The pheasant ran into the thicket surrounding my home. Quite a sight to see this raptor attacking a quarry twice its size. This is probably the same hawk who returns every year and winters in this area. He is a frequent visitor to my pigeon lofts. Prior to the burgeoning hawk population this area was prime pheasant habitat. There are no longer any native pheasants. The only pheasants around are those stocked by the state or semi-wild hunting groups. Just further proof that raptors will tackle prey far larger than themselves.

2. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    I had one fly into my run. I do not know if he was after my girls or a chipmonk. He could not figure how to get out and kept getting stuck in the bird netting.By the time I got out there the hawk was exhausted. So I ran around to my garage to get a fishing net to catch it but by the time I got back my roo and the chickens had it surrounded and were going after it like a pack of hyenas after a lion. If I did not see it with my own eyes I would not of believed it.
    Quote:

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Quote:Wow, that's very eye opening. I know they have to eat too. That pheasant owes you one!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I've probably only forestalled the inevitable. If the pheasant hangs around, the Cooper's will eventually take him out. He does owe me.[​IMG] In the past I would have shot him. and he'd be aging in the refrigerator.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by