1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. djswift

djswift New Egg

Jun 10, 2008
    Our new chicks (10) are 8 weeks old and have a large coop with a door which allows them outside. They prefer to stay indoors most of the day. I'm new to this, so is this behavior natural?

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    What is the weather like there? have they ever been outside? they may just be nervose and will go outside more with time.
    Henry

3. GallowayFarms

GallowayFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    I had to run mine out of the coop when they were little to get them to explore the outside world. What kind of litter do you have in your run, or are they free to explore your whole yard when they leave the coop.

Do you feed them in the run or in the coop? If you have the feed and water in the coop they have no reason to leave the coop bc everything they need is inside. Try moving your feed and water out into the run and see if that doesn't make them a little more adventurous.

Good Luck

Nick

4. Riparian

Riparian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    My 9 week old chicks stay inside for most of the day, if they arent inside they are hiding in the bushes sleeping. they seem most active in the morning and afternoon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by