1. nachoqtpie

nachoqtpie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Jacksonville, NC
    So, I went to a meeting with our Urban Gardening group from church, and we went to one of the peoples houses to see their set-up. I have a question about it.

They built really nice enclosures. One side was the back side of a 6' wooden fence. They then completely enclosed it and didn't have a coop, but they did have a doghouse. Is that advisable? We have really mild winters, and very rarely will it snow. They build the enclosures with 2x4s and on the oustside they put fencing, and on the inside (and on the other side of the 2x4) they put the 1/2" wire mesh about half way up, creating a 4" gap between the inner and outer fence, so no chance of racoons or possum getting in.

The also said that if the birds catch certain diseases that you have to burn a wooden coop? Is that true?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    A doghouse is a coop. It should have a protected floor and closing door though. Did they put a roost in the dog house or provide laying boxes?

3. nachoqtpie

nachoqtpie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Jacksonville, NC
    No! That's the thing that confused me! They said that the chickens lay their eggs in the doghouse, and they didn't have any roosts. It was simply a cheap plastic dog house, so there was no way to lock them in or add a door at all other than in the enclosure.

They also said that their neighbor took plastic buckets and used them for nest boxes... but she didn't have a coop either. I could KINDA see their set up, but not really. It did look like they had roosting spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by