Coops and gardens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kenkirkley, Jun 26, 2019.

1. kenkirkley

kenkirkley Chirping

Feb 25, 2013
    Building a new coop and am wondering if the hens will do damage to garden produce if allowed to free range in it.

Ken

2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Yes. Chickens are really good at scratching up roots, eating newly sprouting plants, eating leaves and veggies off the plant, etc. If you don't want them to destroy it, fence them out.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat!!!^^^

4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Mine will happily eat whatever they can from the garden, and uproot whatever they don't like, just to spite me. :p

Spiritsmeadow, PeeWa, cndlou and 7 others like this.
  5. HopeSprings

HopeSprings Songster

Feb 3, 2019
    Weaverville, NC
    My coop is being built right now, just outside of my vegetable garden. My garden is enclosed with critter guard welded wire 4' high fencing. It keeps the rabbits out and hopefully will keep the chickens out, too!

6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Have some netting on hand to cover the top if necessary... I had 3' chicken wire around my garden beds and the chickens were jumping in and uprooting everything within weeks.

AJKinville, cndlou, starri33 and 2 others like this.
  7. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Crossing the Road Barefoot

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    Not high enough. I've been told deer netting works because they can't see the top and 4' would be fine.

8. HopeSprings

HopeSprings Songster

Feb 3, 2019
    Weaverville, NC
    Yeah, covering it won't work as it's 50' x 60'! I might try running netting above the fencing.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Many have done this successfully. Thin poles stuck in lower fence to attach deer netting too above has worked great, but doesn't always look great.

10. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Songster

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    I have found that a fence to keep chickens out doesn't need to be as tall as a fence to keep them in. The first year I free ranged my hens I built a 6 foot tall fence all the way around my garden. The chickens never tried to get in, they walk up to it but see it as a barrier. The last two summers I have bought some new hens that are about 6 months old. I quarantine them in the garden and make a temp coop with a tarp and some skids. I have to clip their wings because the easily fly to the top of the fence and get out. Never have I seen one fly into the garden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: