Coops and poops

Turdbird

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2016
I'm building a 4x8 coop that is only 4 ft tall, so I can't walk in. Was going to have 3 exterior nest boxes on one of the 4ft walls. Trying to decide where and how many roosts to have and a height. Like the idea of poop bords but seem most are for walk-ins. Also thought I'd seen where someone had just nailed a piece of plywood to the bottom of a removable roost bar, Would that work? Any ideas for this are appreceiated, Construction starts sat. Thanks

How many roosts you'll want/need will depend on how many birds will be living in the coop, and which way they'll be running - along the 8ft side or along the 4ft side.

Two of my coops are walk-ins, and one isn't. My bantam coop (the non walk-in) is only 4x5, and I still managed internal nest boxes (wall mounted) and a dropping board. I am a huge fan of dropping boards - saves on bedding and keeps coops cleaner. Here's how I did mine (a divider was added to the nest box).

I also built a little "scrap" coop for a temporary grow out pen (sold it after I was done with it) - it was only 4x4, but still managed a modified dropping board:

I would always leave at least 6" between roost and dropping board - makes it much easier to reach in the scrape off the boards (I use a plastic drywall knife). Good luck with your building project!!

Thanks for the pics! Probably only 5 or 6 birds,depending on a rooster. But was planning on a 2ft wide door centered in backside[ 8 ft], so will have to reach possibly 3 ft either way and at 4 ft wide that would be a preety good reach. Was considering a lower roost on each end and one long higher one across the full 8 ft.

I'm building a 4x8 coop that is only 4 ft tall, so I can't walk in. Was going to have 3 exterior nest boxes on one of the 4ft walls. Trying to decide where and how many roosts to have and a height. Like the idea of poop bords but seem most are for walk-ins. Also thought I'd seen where someone had just nailed a piece of plywood to the bottom of a removable roost bar, Would that work? Any ideas for this are appreceiated, Construction starts sat. Thanks

the same dimensions as my coop/run :)

you can go in the coop/run but not standing up straight that is for sure

i have 3 perches (1 outside in the run and 2 inside the coop)

they are removable

the floor of the coop is also removalbe. the same for the nesting box.

instead of making multiple small door.. i just create one big door in the back for egg collection and cleaning..

6-10 in of roost space for each hen should be sufficient

Thank you also every pic helps. My coop is 4x8 and it will be attached to a 10x6 dog kennel run. They will also be free ranged during the day after the dogs and them learn to get along. After looking at the pic's I'm thinking about one 8 ft roost bar across the coop with a poop board underneath. I should be able to reach in and clean that without to much trouble. If I make that about 2 ft off the floor of the coop with the poop board about 6 to 8 inches below that would the birds be able to fly up to that or would I need a ramp?

I have a 4x7 coop with a poop board (love 'em!). I would put in as many doors as you can- the more access you have, the easier to clean the coop, reach eggs, and grab birds. You didn't mention it (or maybe you did) but I would also suggest building the coop up off the ground so you don't have to bend over as much.

The chickens will not need a ramp for a poop board that is only two feet off the ground unless they are very young. Mine is three feet off the ground, and the roost is another foot or so above that. They jump up on the board, then onto the roost. I have the roosts width wise in the coop for my conveiniance- two four foot roosts worked better than one eight foot long roost for me. I keep the feeder under the poop board, and the doors below and above the board are very useful. I can open the bottom one, grab the feeder, fill it up, and replace it without having to go into the coop.

(This was when I was building it- there is the support. The poop board itself is 3x4, leaving a 4x4 section of open space)

This is the feeder under the poop board, with the access door, glass window and open window.

Last edited:

Just more pics of dropping board/roost set-ups. Since the roosts/dropping boards, nest boxes, etc. go in last, kind of experiment with leaning in the door to see which roost configuration is easiest to manage...
With an 8 ft. stretch, you could even do a 6 ft. of roost/dropping board and 2 wall mount nest boxes along that back wall - might save work rather than doing external nest boxes.

Last edited:
The pic's are great, I love and need ideas. Was planning on the external boxes to free up some room in coop since it will only be 4 ft tall. NOW thinking about 2 width size bars on each end, One would be over nest entrences and the other over the food and water. Originally I was thinkin on putting food and water under coop outside, since it will be 2 ft off of the ground. Thought that would give them somewhere to go in the rain if they didn't go back in coop, but would probably attract mice.

My friend build a coop for me and it sounds similar to what you are planning. It is 4 x 8 and the roof goes from 4 to 5 feet tall. I put all the roofs on the same level on one half of the coop. And there is a poop board underneath. More like a shallow box. I realized that the roofs are up to high and I have a difficult time reaching all the way in and there is not enough room between the roost and the board. So I will be working on fixing it but here are some pictures to give you an idea. My birds have no problem jumping up to the roost.

There are some great coops on this site, very creative people. I'm sure you'll be able to find what you need.

Thank you, that is dang near exact to what I'm thinking. Only 4 ft to about 3.5 ft on the slope.

Back
Top Bottom