Coops and Technology

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Krunchy, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Krunchy

Krunchy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    Antelope
    Most of not all of us on BYC are Do it yourselfers so it go me wondering what kind of gadgets have you used on your coop? (Automatic Doors, Egg collecting, Feeding etc)

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

You don't need a lot of gadgets. All a coop does is provide a shelter to nest and roost in. Focus your energy on a predator safe run with good wire (not chicken wire) including a top and skirting, and ventilation inside the coop to control fumes, heat, and drafts.

Without these basic need items, your birds will not survive to use the fancy automatic egg collection and pop door.

3. Krunchy

Krunchy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    Antelope
    I've got the basics covered except maybe if a bear tried to get the chickens, but I think I'll get gold eggs before that happens in Sacramento. [​IMG]

I'm thinking of putting a solar powered light with a 1 hour timer in the roost as I've noticed some of the chickens hanging outside way after it's gotten dark and if I take a flashlight and shine it into the roost the chicken will run inside.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

We have an auto door, and of course our fans are on timers or heat sensors. In winter the oil heater is on a heat sensor. No auto feeders/waterers though - that's part of my exercise routine [​IMG]

5. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Quote:Try out using a solar sidewalk light instead. They only cost like 3-4 dollars and all you have to do is take off the stake that you would normally use to stick it in the ground next to your sidewalk and then stick it in a window of your coup. I have 2 and they give off just enough light (only one little led light in them) to coax them into the coup, but not so much that it affects egg laying. Very cheap and easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by