Coop's coming along - slowly - LOTS o' new pics on page 3

Pineywoods Peepers

Certified Poultry Accruer
11 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Pineywoods of East Texas
My hubby started my coop on July 10 one day after the chicks arrived. He's a carpenter, and works been pretty slow, so I thought I'd have my coop built in no time. He got the area where we were going to put the coop leveled and got the floor put down. Then the next week he got a job and was working. Figures! Of course, I guess that work will help fund my new found chicken obsession.
big_smile.png

But they had another lull in work this week, so he and a couple guys on his crew got back on the chicken coop. They got the walls and rafters put up, and also got the metal roof installed. Then Mother Nature decided to get involved in the obstructing progress and dumped a bunch of rain on us. Argh!

And no construction today because they're working again. Phooey!

I'm hopeful that any additional rain headed our direction will hold off, and we can get the OSB put up on the sides and get it painted this weekend.

Should we paint the interior or just leave it as is?

IMG_4756.jpg

IMG_4781.jpg

IMG_4794.jpg

IMG_4906.jpg

IMG_4915.jpg

Rachel

Last edited by a moderator:
At least DH is finding work!!!
smile.png
I'll cross my fingers that you get a rain free weekend this weekend
fl.gif
And I will always recommend painting the inside...it just makes things SO much easier to clean. You'll especially want something down on floor (vinyl or thick porch paint) so that runny dropping don't soak into the wood. Plus paint just brightens the place up so much and makes it look nice
smile.png

:weeeThat's reeeely reeeely NICE!! I painted mine on the inside because I read on here it makes it easier to keep clean. It does look nicer too. Your coop will be awesome when finished.
thumbsup.gif

I too painted the inside of my coop. I used a white exterior latex paint which made the interior much brighter. Painted the interior roof white also. It makes the clean up easier because you can see that you got it all clean. I thought that by sealing the pores in the wood I would perhaps deny pests places to hide. Would not go back to natural wood on the interior ever again. Good luck!

Thanks for the compliments and the advise! I really, really hope we can get the OSB up this weekend. If we do, then I can start painting!!

So white is the best color to paint the interior? I can't decide whether to go with barn red for the exterior or green to match our storage barn. Decisions. Decisions.
smile.png

The coop is 10' X 12' (originally I'd hoped for 10' X 16', but that extra 4' was a budget buster). The front 5' of the building will be a storage/brooder area. I also plan on having some counter space and a small sink with running water. Should I get a small and/or instant water heater? Seems like it'd be awfully convenient to have warm water available for clean up, but I don't know if it's worth hassle.

We'll also have a loft over the 7' chicken area for storing straw, shavings, and whatever doesn't fit downstairs.

Rachel

coming along quick for only a couple days work. I like it! I vote to paint inside I didnt and now it will be a pain to do.

Well, hubby and his two fellow carpenters had a busy day today. When I went home at lunch one side of the coop was covered in OSB. By the time I got off for the day, all of the OSB had been put up on the sides, the windows had been installed, the vent fan had been installed, and the loft storage area had been OSB'd too. Wow! And he went shopping for paint, but I still haven't made up my mind on an exterior paint color, so he just got primer. I guess I'll be painting this weekend after all, and time is running short on what color to choose...

IMG_4938.jpg

Progress as of noon today

IMG_4939.jpg

All the sides are OSB'd!

IMG_4940.jpg

Front of coop

IMG_4941.jpg

Loft storage area

IMG_4942.jpg

Rear of coop

IMG_4943.jpg

Back corner of coop