Coops Is Ok For Light

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ange, Jan 18, 2010.

1. ange

ange Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    I HAVE some concerns on the light in my coop. More concerned for the spring and summer when days are longer. My coop where they roost and lay, (I wish) is enclosed for the warmth but is panaled with white panelling and has a door and window. Coop run that is attached is open with only a roof and wire and door. So my question is how can light be a concern if I need to keep them warm and safe, so then they have to have a roof eyc. I just want to make sure I am doing it correctly, and the light concerns me, lack of it. I want to make sure I have enough lioght so they will lay and be happy. I thinki they are happy., just not laying.

2. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    If you have a window in your coop then there should be plenty enough light get in there. I have a window and I have never had any issues. I do put a light in the coop in the winter and have it on a timer to turn on at 3:30 a.m. and off about 8:00 a.m.

3. ange

ange Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    So glad to hear I should be ok, since I HAVE A WINDOW. Just concerned since they are not laying and have not started my rir are 9 months old

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Sounds fine to me [​IMG]

Pat

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:What are you feeding them?

6. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    the light isn't your problem. RIR's should have started laying around 6 mos. or so. Yours are late for some reason, but it's not the light.

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi ange-

I'm so glad you used white paint- it makes all the difference. Not only are your birds getting natural light and whatever layer light you choose to add, but the white surface nearly doubles the lumens from the window. Nicely done! So many things about chicken-keeping can be confusing! So just ask and someone will know...[​IMG]

And if your RIR's were June hatchlings rather than May, the natural shortening of days in the fall may have prevented them from laying. My RIR crosses have just decided to reduce production and are molting. I know yours are young but are you seeing any feathers? They might be in their 4th juvenile moult...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by