1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

1. TheWilliams

TheWilliams Hatching

Apr 7, 2012
    Hi everyone, wanted to share the coop I just finished up..get it on the interwebs so it might help someone someday. Its based on the coopsicle design from the "Reinventing the Chicken Coop" book by Kevin McElroy, but with some design changes. It sits on a single post, set in concrete, which I think should help with the rats that were nesting in the deep bedding in my previous run. The girls free range in the yard all day, so no need for a run anyway. I've attached some pictures below. Happy to answer questions or explain things, also I wrote a blog post explaining the build at http://bambamsclub.wordpress.com/2013/07/25/coopsicle/

This is a cool design, the girls took to it really quickly. Hope its helpful for someone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Nice coop! It somehow reminds me of a treehouse!

3. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Nice design and construction. To me it has a whimsical look.

4. TheWilliams

TheWilliams Hatching

Apr 7, 2012
    Thanks, now I'm trying to figure out how to put a droppings board under the perch, everytime i get on here i get new ideas...

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Cool Beans!

Are only the ends at an angle...not the sides? Nice for keeping water off the walls.
    How is the floor attached to the post?
    Nesting boxes higher than the roost, are they roosting in the nests?

6. TheWilliams

TheWilliams Hatching

Apr 7, 2012
    Yea, only the ends are at an angle...I think angling the sides would be an interesting twist, and I thought about doing it, but it would have introduced some changes in the plans that I wasn't prepared to deal with over a single weekend. Instead I increased the roof overhang to try to keep some of the rain off the walls, the original plans only had 3 inches of overhang and I was worried about the walls getting really wet. We had a squall line come through a couple of days ago and the walls were dry...I think the tree cover helps keep the rain-drops coming from directly above instead of sideways. I'm going to use a clear sealant on the outside as a just-in-case.

The floor is attached with a couple of bolts. I used screws to temporarily attach it and then drilled, installed, and tightened the bolts down. Having the opening in the framing fit snugly is helpful.

Aaaaand yes, this is my first time with nesting boxes off the floor and I've noticed they just started roosting in the boxes. I suppose I'll just lower them a bit and raise the roost so its higher. They took to laying in the boxes much faster than I thought. Their instincts are amazing sometimes. Thanks for the comments/questions, hope this was helpful.

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by