1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cooptique Ideas Needed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MisFitsFarms, Aug 10, 2013.

1. MisFitsFarms

MisFitsFarms New Egg

Mar 26, 2013
    I am finally getting our barn cleaned out and Sheep Chicken ready. I have a big pole barn with cement flooring. The area that will be for the 15 chickens & 2 ducks 6x18. 2 metal outside walls and 2 half wood half welded wire walls. I am putting in a 10"X20" window along with an exterior door with 3 upper windows already there for as much natural day light as possible. I will be recycling metal wire crates and adding outdoor grass carpet in each for nesting boxes. I will and have been using in their laying area DE as well as straw for bedding. I will be adding pieces of wood for perching area on as well as 2 old wooden ladders. I have an outside play yard area that is 24x50 welded wired 7 feet high. Havent gotten the roof on the play yard area yet.

Do I need to add privacy screening between each box?
    What is the best media for the cement flooring?
    What type of area do I need for the ducks think I have a pair of mates.
    How far off the floor should I put my boxes?
    How many rows high and long.
    Recommended number of boxes for chickens?
    What type of nesting area for ducks?
    Any suggestions for play yard area.
    Have pool for duck already in use.

Thank You for your ideas as critiques in advance.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas

1 person likes this.
  3. LittleChooks

LittleChooks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    Aberdeenshire, UK
    I wouldn't use straw for flooring, as chickens can get they're feet stuck in it if they're on it 24/7. I'd use wood chippings but that might be expensive. if money is a problem, I'd go with sand.

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Hmm,I haven't read that before.

Straw is a very popular bedding choice and the only negative thing I've seen so far is that mites might be able to live in it ([​IMG]). All my friends use it for their flocks and think I'm crazy for using pine shavings instead. I'm currently waiting on my brother to bring me a few bales though because I'm soooo over the messy shavings. Sand is popular as well. Shavings are dusty and can use breathing issues for your flock. I cleaned my coop today and it was disgusting.

1 person likes this.
  5. LittleChooks

LittleChooks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    Aberdeenshire, UK
    Ye, I suppose. I only have 2 (well, getting them tomorrow :D), and all my friends recomended shavings, so I guess its up to you, straw might be a bit cheaper, considering you have to cover a whole barn!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by