Coopywood Progress - updated pics on page 2

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ladeefire, Apr 11, 2009.

1. ladeefire

ladeefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    NH
    hey everyone,

We have 9 pullets and a roo(we have 14 now but 5 are someone elses) who are all 4 weeks old. Husband and I have been working on the coop for a few weeks now. We had an old playhouse in our backyard that had been abandoned for 20 years or so. Please see here:

[​IMG]

It is about 10 x 8 but we have plans to divide it so that we can store feed etc in the building as well as other supplies we might need. So the birds will be getting about 7.5 x 6

[​IMG]

we have since insulated the floor and walls, put a panelling up that would be easy to wash and painted. DH has also created a partition with a door. Tomorrow I will get pics of the progress because we are moving our chicks outside (with light/brooder) tomorrow as we have completely RUN OUT OF ROOM in the house for them. I think they will be ok since we have installed a digital thermostat in the building and I can track the temperature in the building. Right now unheated it is 56 and the temp out is only 40. There is no light on in the coop. I think with a light they will be fine.

The next step is to install the roosts and then the pen. We plan on the pen being ABOUT 12 x 20 and will be off the left side of the house, the window on the left side of the door is being removed and replaced with a pop door and the pen should be on the left side of the building
    [​IMG]

There are vents on both sides of the house in the eaves. We will provide access to UNDER the house as well when we redo the front porch of the little house we will put a chicken ladder in and we will be predator proofing the underside of the house because we are not enclosing the entire house within the run.

We want to put in 2 nesting boxes and we hope to have about 11-12 birds total live in this set up. Do you think that is sufficient space for 12 birds? Again, right now we have 9 pullets and 1 roo but we are also getting 2 black star hens from a friend in may.

thanks

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Shut up! You are far more generous than I am -- I would have keep that playhouse for ME! Looks like a great place for a Mom to run away and hide...

Super cute. Lucky chickens!

3. ladeefire

Mar 30, 2009
    NH
    Quote:OMG ha ha ha you made me laugh. I thought about running away and hiding in there a few times but you know, I think it would be more fun to hide with the chickens! OH and the walls are now white and the inside trim... Lavender [​IMG] my girls are spoiled lol

4. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Take a look at my coop - you're amongst friends...

5. ladeefire

Mar 30, 2009
    NH
    Quote:very cute! You have cold temps like me too! princess chickens [​IMG]

6. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    OhmyGod!! That is sooooo cute! I would have totally kept it for myself, like a little getaway cottage. You have some VERY luck chickens.

7. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Wow! [​IMG] [​IMG] Nice! [​IMG] I like the green trim too. That will be such a cute chicken house!

8. ladeefire

Mar 30, 2009
    NH
    You guys are so funny (and great) its so nice to talk to people who get it. The people in my life think I have lost my mind!!

I can't wait to show you guys teh "after pictures" as these are certainly the before's lol. We have only been working on the inside thus far though because we need to get the little ones OUT of my laundry room lol.

9. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Can't wait to see after pics.

10. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've always had the country side that would shine...nobody got it. Finally, hubby is accepting it, but I'm now considered the ADHD wife. Ah, well, there could be worse. Of course, I have goats, horses and chickens!~ LOl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by