Coordination Issues

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rhondax6, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Rhondax6

Rhondax6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    We have two, month old white peekin ducks. Yesterday we noticed one walking funny and it seems worse today. Eating and drinking ok, swimming ok too. Talking walks isn't an issue although it looks drunk. Any ideas? It's legs and feet look ok to me but I know very little about duck anatomy. TIA!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Leg weakness? Rapid weight gain? Niacin deficiency?

3. Rhondax6

Jun 14, 2009
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    What would one do for that?

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If it's a niacin deficiency, brewer's yeast can help, sprinkled onto food. Some use niacin pills but there are some discussions going on about different kinds of niacin pills, you may wish to search BYC for those topics. Bugs contain niacin, I am told.

For too-fast growth, watching that they get enough nutrition but with fewer calories (if they're getting corn, cut back on that, add more greens, for example) may help.

The larger breeds can have leg problems, I am told, from gaining weight too quickly. I have a small breed so that wasn't an issue for us.

If all other behavior is normal, and swimming (which takes weight off the legs) is normal, I would lean toward thinking that something is causing the leg weakness. If there are other signs of neurological problems (seizures, for example), I'd lean toward a niacin shortage.

My guess is that ducks have different tolerances for niacin deficiency and perhaps other nutritional components. That's why some people are less concerned about niacin than others, perhaps.

5. Rhondax6

Jun 14, 2009
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    We're feeding them a chick starter as that's what our local co-op offers for ducks. Thanks for all your suggestions! I'll try some brewers yeast in their food tomorrow. Is that something the co-op would sell or would I find that in the grocery store??

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It might be in a grocery store, or a health food or supplement store. I don't know if feed stores carry it - it's usually people supplement.

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i couldn't find Brewers Yeast in my grocery store. i had to go to a local health food store. Got a large can of Nutritional Yeast for $10. i sprinkle a tablespoon on the peas i give my ducks twice a day. My ducks had been getting transient leg weakness fairly frequently, but since adding the yeast, it hasn't happened since.

8. Rhondax6

Jun 14, 2009
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Thanks so much for the tip. We don't have a health food store here in our small rural town, my only hope is I can find it at Wal-Mart in the pharmacy. I'll call around. Thank you!!

ETA I'm recalling brewers yeast in tablet form with the other vitamins. If indeed they do have that at the store, would it be ok to smash a tablet and use that sprinkled on peas?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  9. Rhondax6

Jun 14, 2009
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Things are looking worse for Pancakes. She can't groom herself, falls over every time she tries, and she's not eating. Coordination is much worse today.

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Could she have gotten into spoiled food? She may have a systemic infection.

Botulism can be fatal (sorry to have to bring it up). I just posted Storey's info on botulism on another topic, duck drunkenness?

See if that might help.

I'd contact a vet or rehabilitator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by