Copper bolus

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
Ok, so I think my does could probably stand to have some copper. Where is the best place to get it? Do I have to buy a drenching gun as well or something else to help administer it?

Order Copasure from Jeffers. You have to break them down, they're dosed for cattle - so you'll need a gram scale. I use a 3 cc syringe and either yogurt or pudding as the carrier. No different than dosing wormer, except you don't want them to chew it, so you have to get it WAY in the back of the mouth. I usually "hire" my stanchion as my helper
wink.png

Potter send me your add and I will send you a bolus in the mail...PM me I have plenty as I get enough for my cattle and goats... I dont use the powdered copper I use the Copasure boluses like helmsted. I agree with her on this and its made a big difference and last longer also.

are you living in a copper deficient area, have you had your herd or at least the does your treating tested for a deficiency? I am curious as to why I see a lot of breeders dosing their goats with copper and bo-se when it may not be an issue or the issue....... Are your goats/baby goats suffering from balance issues and weak or non use in their hind legs, abortions, diarrhea or weight loss.

I have never given bo-se or copper to any of my goats though I know a few breeders in the area who do based on the "fad" factor, they heard someone else does it so they do. We are not in a deficient area and the goats thrive and have healthy babies without it, I am not sure how the herds do that get it when they dont happen to need it there could be an issue with toxicity at some point.

Quote:
We buy our hay from a copper and selenium deficient area. Two of my does have the rough/lightened coat and fishtail that are trademarks of copper deficiency. They got boluses.

Since the only TRULY accurate way to test copper levels is a liver biopsy, I think I'll pass on the test and judge by the outward signs that are usually indicative of copper deficiency.

Low level copper deficiency won't cause the issues you describe, just a general "unthriftiness". If you don't treat it, you could end up with ataxia in your adults, abortions and weak/dead kids. No thanks.

I agree with Kate and I bolus when I see they are fading and I bolus 30 days before kidding ...had problems with babies not doing well and other things and after bolusing and Bo-se shots they are all doing well...no problems this year like a few yrs ago...

Back
Top Bottom