Copper( Brown Red) Moran X Isa Browns

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ghulst, Feb 14, 2009.

1. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Am crossing a Copper Moran cock over Isa Brown hens. Has anybody done that cross? My freind and I are doing this togater. We beleive that we will get darker eggs then the Isa browns lay and we are hoping that the egg production stays up like the isa browns. The cock is the English strain with clean legs. If you have done any crossing with Morans i would be interested in your results as to egg color.
    Thanks
    Gary

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    they are Marans with a silent s (even in singular) [​IMG]

eta- good luck with your cross [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  3. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    The egg colour of a Marans is due to polygenic cumulative factors. The cross breds are not likely to lay darker eggs than the Isas, & will probable lay a lot less of them,

4. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Blackdotte, Why would I get less eggs? The Isa Brown is the best layer That there is?

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    probably because the marans isn't very prolific [​IMG]
    I would think they would lay better than marans but less than the isa

6. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Gary where did you get your Marans cock from?
    I would think because the Isa Browns are a hybrid cross and you are introducing yet another total out-cross that your gene pool will be a mixed bag of who knows what. I would guess you wouldn't get much consistency in any of the offspring and it would take generations to refine them to what you want.
    You'd have to keep all of them and see what happens.
    No doubt a fun project.
    Keep me posted.
    Vicky [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  7. jaja

jaja Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    hi
    any result with your cross
    I want to do it.
    why the isa brown is hybrid, as I know they are RIR with RIW. in wikipedia they say crossed with leghorn.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

First, this thread is several years old, so you might want to private message ghulst and ask him whether he ever made this cross.

The ISA Brown is a four way cross of proprietary birds. They are not a simple cross of anything you'd label as any particular breed. Wikipedia is also not a reliable source for accurate information. Truth be told, it is a trade secret as to the makeup of this bird. They've been developed for over 30 years, through selective breeding.

Some of us speculate that there is quite likely Brown Leghorn, White sussex, Rhode Island Red and a few other things in the ISA's heritage. We'll never know for sure.

9. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    What ever the Isa's are they are THE BEST brown egg layer I have ever had and a nice calm bird too.

Hey Fred! I'm your neighbor down by Grand Rapids. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Hi Cottage Rose. Yes, the ISA is a wonderful layer. We've kept them for years and years. A dozen of them always make up the core of our egg laying flock. I suspect being as close as we to Townline in Zeeland has something to do with ISA's popularity in this area of the country.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by