copper maran - no eggs!

sean_danny

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 2, 2007
portet, france
Hello all.

I would love some advice with my Copper Maran, Mimi. She is between 7 and 8 months of age, and has not begun laying yet. We are still having 12-13hrs of daylight each day. As well, there are def no eggs in their enclosure. They live in a large fenced off part of the yard. The grass is not overgrown and along the fencing there are some brambles but again not too tall. I am in the park about 3-4 times a day with treats, then to clean the house cubbies, then to look for late afternoon eggs, then again to socialize with them. So basically, has anyone else experienced such a delay in eggs? My Faverolle and Coucou de Renne both started to lay within days of each other 3-4 weeks ago. They too are also the same age as my Maran.

Thanks much!
Jeannine

My Wheaten Maran is the most broody of my hens and by far the lowest in productivity. I'd tell you to still be patient. Does she seem broody at all? Nesting a lot? Mine nested for 2 months and puffed up and growled at me until we got more of her dark brown eggs. Sometimes with marans you have to be patient.

Not broody in the least. I just thought it odd that she is such a late bloomer. Even the Brahma I had, had begun to lay at 6-7 mos. I was told she would not be mature til she was over a year and not to expect any eggs. The one funny thing I did notice with my Maran is that at night time when she goes to bed, she still tries to get under one of the other hens like a chick does. It's rather funny as she is so big. Well, not that big, she is the second smallest of all my girls! Also she was hand raised so never slept under a momma hen when she was wee.

Back
Top Bottom