Copper Marans type for Sexlink chicks

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Amy King Hanson, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Amy King Hanson

Amy King Hanson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2016
    Chautauqua New York
    [​IMG]
    I have seen that Black Copper Marans over a Barred Rock hen produces Sexlink chicks. I have a Blue Copper Marans rooster and am trying to find out which group he is in. I found a post saying Copper Marans are Birchen but I want to confirm. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wappoke

Wappoke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2015
    Generally, crossing a barred female with a non-barred male will produce sex linked offspring. The cross must produce chicks in which the cream/white spot on the males head can be distinguished from the females that do not have spots on their head. If a person can not tell if there is or is not a spot on the head then the cross will not work. For example if you crossed a barred rock or a cuckoo marans with a male white leghorn, the offspring will be white or white with spots of black. This cross will not work.

in your case, the blue copper is blue birchen and would be in group 2. A blue copper male over a barred/black hen will produce sex linked offspring. The blue chicks may be more difficult to distinguish between male and female.

1 person likes this.
  3. Amy King Hanson

Amy King Hanson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2016
    Chautauqua New York

Thanks so much!! I appreciate your reply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by